The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   idaho state tournament video, fun referee examples (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32525-idaho-state-tournament-video-fun-referee-examples.html)

boiseball Tue Mar 06, 2007 03:32pm

idaho state tournament video, fun referee examples
 
check out this video:
http://www.idahosports.com/gamestrea...ley_3_3_07.asp

you will see the mistake on the one and one versus 2 shots, find it at:1:11:10

you will see an intentional foul followed by technical foul on the opposing team, it was handled correctly but you will love listening to the announcers and how lost they are, plus, check out the arm signals of the referee who calls and reports the intentional foul, classic, find it at: 1:20:45

enjoy

DC_Ref12 Tue Mar 06, 2007 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by boiseball
check out this video:
http://www.idahosports.com/gamestrea...ley_3_3_07.asp

you will see the mistake on the one and one versus 2 shots, find it at:1:11:10

you will see an intentional foul followed by technical foul on the opposing team, it was handled correctly but you will love listening to the announcers and how lost they are, plus, check out the arm signals of the referee who calls and reports the intentional foul, classic, find it at: 1:20:45

enjoy

Brad Hadley is the L on the botched one-and-one. Must've been a complete brain fart cause Brad's the District 6 interpreter and perhaps the best official in the state. (IMO, of course)

boiseball Tue Mar 06, 2007 03:45pm

brad looked like a very solid official, I am sure he felt terrible about it, I love his hand gestures though on the intentional foul

boiseball Tue Mar 06, 2007 03:54pm

I would add that it is really hard to ever say someone is the best official in the state; unless you watch a lot of basketball and travel the state, you will have only seen a fraction of the best officials. I can tell you that boise has a number of top notch officials that never even make it to state because of the limited number of spots and the quota system for choosing officials; the coaches pick the refs, which is hardly a system for finding the "best in the state." Plus, and this is just my opinion, the top guys are all so similar; trying to say one is the best is basically a crap shoot; they all do a great job and have nearly identical philosophies -- stay the heck out of the way, referee the defense, and use perfect mechanics.

On another note, since you seem to have watched the game, not sure if you noticed the push from the star player for Skyview that occured only moments before the intentional foul. Neither official approached him to settle him down and tell him that it would be a stupid way to finish his high school career (or however you choose to give warnings). Either they completely missed it, which is unfortunate, or they decided it was minor. We will never know, but preventative officiating might have avoided the ensuing intentional and ugly finish to the game. Might! He also may have completely ignored the warning. Just something else I took away from that game.

Not official bashing, just some lessons

DC_Ref12 Tue Mar 06, 2007 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by boiseball
I would add that it is really hard to ever say someone is the best official in the state; unless you watch a lot of basketball and travel the state, you will have only seen a fraction of the best officials. I can tell you that boise has a number of top notch officials that never even make it to state because of the limited number of spots and the quota system for choosing officials; the coaches pick the refs, which is hardly a system for finding the "best in the state." Plus, and this is just my opinion, the top guys are all so similar; trying to say one is the best is basically a crap shoot; they all do a great job and have nearly identical philosophies -- stay the heck out of the way, referee the defense, and use perfect mechanics.

I covered Idaho high school ball for a couple of years for the Post Register and got to know ALL of the officials on the eastern side of the state and most of the western.

You're point is absolutely correct though. I'm definitely Hadley biased (BTW, shout out to Brad's brother Dave who coached the Shelley boys team to the state title!!) There's no real reason for saying anyone is "the best," but Brad's definitely up there IMO. His partner for that game is a good guy too. District 6 has some really great officials.

JoeTheRef Tue Mar 06, 2007 04:01pm

3-Man
 
You would think Idaho would adopt the 3-man crew to get more guys in the big game, plus six eyes on the ball is always better than 4...:D LoL

boiseball Tue Mar 06, 2007 04:07pm

hope that wasn't a shot at Idaho officials :)

JoeTheRef Tue Mar 06, 2007 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by boiseball
hope that wasn't a shot at Idaho officials :)

No shot at Idaho officials... My reference was to the six eyes on the ball, meaning if that was the case, then you would have a crew of ball watchers. Which is no-no in my crews, and would probably be reiterated during halftime.

JRutledge Tue Mar 06, 2007 04:20pm

I have to tell you I was very confused by the hand signals before the reporting of the intentional foul. I was not sure what he was signaling and to what side. Also he did not need to use signals or point during the discussion with his partner. You should always avoid gestures as much as possible during those conversations.

Peace

ShadowStripes Tue Mar 06, 2007 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I have to tell you I was very confused by the hand signals before the reporting of the intentional foul. I was not sure what he was signaling and to what side. Also he did not need to use signals or point during the discussion with his partner. You should always avoid gestures as much as possible during those conversations.

Peace

Agreed. Way too much arm swinging.

Also, enjoyed listening to the befuddled announcers trying to figure out how the refs could award 2 shots on an intentional foul in which the basket counted. Sadly, the Idaho BB announcers are basically on par with Billy Packer.

tjones1 Tue Mar 06, 2007 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I have to tell you I was very confused by the hand signals before the reporting of the intentional foul. I was not sure what he was signaling and to what side. Also he did not need to use signals or point during the discussion with his partner. You should always avoid gestures as much as possible during those conversations.

Peace

I was confused too, looked like he was directing traffic.

boiseball Tue Mar 06, 2007 05:25pm

lets just say he got a little excited, the best part was the commentator's commenting on it and saying that every young referee should have to watch and try and decipher :) I bet the ref has had a good laugh at himself after watching the video

TRef21 Tue Mar 06, 2007 06:49pm

very wierd mechanics. I havent seen them in the NCAA or the NBA. Its funny how the announcers don't know the rule on the intentional foul on a made basket.

justacoach Tue Mar 06, 2007 07:49pm

'nother f..up
 
1:24:30 they shot a free throw with only 1 defender in the 1st spot.

That's what you get when you let the coaches pick the refs!!!

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Mar 06, 2007 07:56pm

I Think part of the excessive hand motions had to do with what I believe is an old mechanic that is still sometimes used, and that is, when reporting fouls, as you verbalize the color of the offending team, you also point to their bench. That mechanic has never been around as long as I've been calling games, but I've seen a number of officials that have been referees longer then me do it and seem to recall someone saying that at one time, that was the proper mechanic.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1