The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quiz me!

So, I've been studying my rules and case book pretty intensely for the past month and I can't really gauge where I'm at. Obviously I don't have them down pat but I'd like to know if I'm even progressing. Problem is, I can't find any quizzes or tests online to help me know how I'm doing.

So, I thought I would enlist the help of all of the collective wisdom on this board. Ask me a quiz question and I'll try to give the right answer without looking in my book. If other people want to answer, that's cool, but try and put your answers in spoilers so it doesn't give away the answer to me.

I think this could be fun. Thanks to anybody that wants to help.

Fire away!
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

1. 1/10 A10. The snap goes off QB A11's hands and the ball rolls to the A7. B21 bats the ball at the A8 and the ball rolls into the end zone where A22 picks up ball in the end zone, runs to the A30, fumbles and B22 recovers.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shave-tail
football gobbledygook
at first I was like then I realized you were so I was like
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

If you're really looking to get a good handle on the rules, you might want to check out this website. The CD's include all of the test questions from the last 5 seasons. http://www.rules-study.com/index.html
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
If you're really looking to get a good handle on the rules, you might want to check out this website. The CD's include all of the test questions from the last 5 seasons. http://www.rules-study.com/index.html
I just can't bring myself to shell out money for practice tests right now when I'm already spending hundreds of dollars for dues, clothes, equipment, camp, insurance, etc etc etc.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Take the case book, cover the answers as you read the situations, and then see if you know the answers correctly!
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

This was originally posted by just another ref in another thread. Not too difficult, but something you should know without thinking too long.

1. Held ball situation, possession arrow favors team A. Player A1 takes the ball out of bounds. He extends the ball across the line and out over the court, where B1 grabs the ball and ties it up. What is the call?

a. Violation when the ball crossed the line, B’s ball
b. Technical foul on B1
c. Warning on B1, if it happens again it is a technical
d. Held ball, B gets possession
e. Held ball, A keeps possession

2. End of game situation: Team A leads by 2. Players A1 dribbles at midcourt, and with 1 second left throws the ball high in the air, thinking his team has won. Buzzer sounds while the ball is in the air, but, incredibly, the ball goes through Team B’s basket. What is the call?

a. No points. Ball entered basket after the buzzer. A wins by 2.
b. 3 points for team B. B wins by 1.
c. 2 points for team B. Overtime.

3. Traveling involves the limit on movement of the pivot foot. A player gains possession of the ball and has not yet used his dribble, therefore he may start a dribble, shoot, or pass. The limits on movement of the pivot foot are:

a. The same on all three options.
b. Different on all three options.
c. The same on a shot and a pass. .
d. The same on a shot and a dribble.
e. The same on a pass and a dribble.

4. Official calls a foul near the baseline and you do not see the signal. You are told the call was either an intentional foul or a technical foul. There are 2 differences in the penalty for these 2 infractions. What are they?

5. Team A leads by 1 as time expires to end the 4th quarter. Immediately after the buzzer, team A’s coach steps out and uses profanity as he gives his opinion to the officials of how the game was called. Ruling: Technical foul on Coach A. Two free throws will be shot to determine which team wins or if overtime is necessary. True or false?
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1. Held ball situation, possession arrow favors team A. Player A1 takes the ball out of bounds. He extends the ball across the line and out over the court, where B1 grabs the ball and ties it up. What is the call?

a. Violation when the ball crossed the line, B’s ball
b. Technical foul on B1
c. Warning on B1, if it happens again it is a technical
d. Held ball, B gets possession
e. Held ball, A keeps possession
E. Arrow never changed.

Quote:
2. End of game situation: Team A leads by 2. Players A1 dribbles at midcourt, and with 1 second left throws the ball high in the air, thinking his team has won. Buzzer sounds while the ball is in the air, but, incredibly, the ball goes through Team B’s basket. What is the call?

a. No points. Ball entered basket after the buzzer. A wins by 2.
b. 3 points for team B. B wins by 1.
c. 2 points for team B. Overtime.
A. Ball is dead at the buzzer since it wasn't a try for goal.

Quote:
3. Traveling involves the limit on movement of the pivot foot. A player gains possession of the ball and has not yet used his dribble, therefore he may start a dribble, shoot, or pass. The limits on movement of the pivot foot are:

a. The same on all three options.
b. Different on all three options.
c. The same on a shot and a pass. .
d. The same on a shot and a dribble.
e. The same on a pass and a dribble.
E? not so sure about this one.

Quote:
4. Official calls a foul near the baseline and you do not see the signal. You are told the call was either an intentional foul or a technical foul. There are 2 differences in the penalty for these 2 infractions. What are they?
Crap. Um...intentional foul is two shots then POI, technical two shots plus the ball at midcourt?

Quote:
5. Team A leads by 1 as time expires to end the 4th quarter. Immediately after the buzzer, team A’s coach steps out and uses profanity as he gives his opinion to the officials of how the game was called. Ruling: Technical foul on Coach A. Two free throws will be shot to determine which team wins or if overtime is necessary. True or false?
True
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
E? not so sure about this one.
RULE 4-44
ART. 3 . . . After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:

a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
c. The pivot foot may not be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
RULE 4-44
ART. 3 . . . After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:

a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
c. The pivot foot may not be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble.
Grrr. C it is then. Great questions, thanks. Did I get all the other ones right?
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Grrr. C it is then. Great questions, thanks. Did I get all the other ones right?
The last answer would be false. The technical foul shots would be administered to start the overtime.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
The last answer would be false. The technical foul shots would be administered to start the overtime.
Ooops.. My bad, I thought the score was tied. You're right.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Reading is fundamental..
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the score was tied, the free throws would be the start of the extra period, then AP goes to Team A on throw-in, correct?
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
yes.

T or F Q?
1.If airborne A1 passes the ball instead of shooting, he/she is still an airborne shooter as it relates to a player control foul.

2. During a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, the ball is in the frontcourt when both feet of the dribbler or the ball touch the court entirely in the frontcourt.

3. It is a technical foul for an opponent of the throw in team to reach across the boundry line and knock down a throw in pass.