The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

True or false and why. Closed book please.

1- If a team B member dunks during the pregame warmup, AP control is established when free thrower A1 is handed the ball.

2- If televison-replay equipment is used for coaching purposes during the game, the foul is charged directly to the head coach.

3- The dribble ends when the dribble is interrupted.

4- An unsporting technical foul may involve contact with an opponent.

5- The ball becomes dead when B1 touches A1's FT try while the ball is in upward flight outside the cylinder.

6- A designated spot throw-in for the non-offended team always follows a foul when no FTs are to be shot.

7- Only one visible manufacturer's logo/trademark is permitted on the team jersey.

8- An American flag not exceeding 2X3 inches may be worn anywhere on the team jersy provided it doesn't interfere with the visibility of the player's number.

9- The 2-foot radius inner center circle is not required.

10- After the ball tossed but before it is tapped, nonjumpers may have a foot break the plane of the restraining circle.

Play fair and good luck!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

oh, that's too many questions, I'll answer til I get brainlocked, it's late (see my latest topic )

#1 False, AP is established when ball is handed to A at midcourt for throw-in after free throws.

#2 False, guessing, I would think indirect on the head coach.

#3 True, I would allow another dribble if defense tapped the ball away.

#4 I'm going to throw this question out due to wording. "unsporting", is that like "flagrant"

#5 True, I'm on a limb but I say yes, this is a technical foul.

#6 Out de door, "designated spot for the non-offended team" that would translate to the offending team, why would you give the ball to the offending team?

#7 False, no visible manufacturers logo is permitted on the jersey.

#8 False, not sure but 2x3 doesn't sound right and I believe it either has to be on the sleeve or on the left chest, just looks like a trick question.

#9 False, dunna know.

#10False, saw this called last week, good thing, I would have missed it, jump is sloppy often I found out from working/observing. Many officials, and good ones, do not know the rules about jump ball officiatin.

Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ok, I'll take a stab.

1) False. I make it a point never to see a player dunk in warm-ups. Jump it up.

Ok, ok. A serious answer. I think this is false. It always seems to me that you should set it when the free thrower gets the ball. That makes sense to me, b/c he's got possession of the ball. But for some reason, I think I'm wrong about that. Set the arrow at the throw-in.

2) False. Team T.

3) False. If A1's dribble is interrupted, A1 can resume his dribble (assuming he hasn't recovered the ball by holding it).

Hmmmmm, is this one of those quizzes about common misconceptions where all the answers are false?

4) False. Unsporting fouls are never for contact.

5) Well, it's not BI or GT, so we don't assess the T at this point. But it's got to be at least a defensive FT violation. I'm betting on the "all False" theory at this point and I'll say it's False. Put up a fist, and tell him to never, ever do it again.

6) False. You give it to offended team. But even if you MEANT to write "offended team", the answer is still false. After a made or awarded basket, the inbounding team gets to "run the baseline" even if a defensive foul or violation occurs before the throw-in ends. (Exception: double foul, right?)

7) False, no logo's, right?

8) So much for the "All false" theory. I'm pretty sure this is True.

9) True again.

10) False. No one can come onto or into the circle until the ball is legally touched.

Well, now I have to go check. I'm not very sure of myself at this point.

Chuck

[Edited by ChuckElias on Dec 7th, 2001 at 10:38 AM]
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
True or false and why. Closed book please.

1- If a team B member dunks during the pregame warmup, AP control is established when free thrower A1 is handed the ball.
False. THe arrow is set during a free-throw only when it's a common foul (bonus situation). OTher wise, it's set on the throw-in.

Quote:
2- If televison-replay equipment is used for coaching purposes during the game, the foul is charged directly to the head coach.
False -- it's a team foul only

Quote:
False -- it's still a dribble, even though there's no player control.

Quote:
False -- by definition

Quote:
5- The ball becomes dead when B1 touches A1's FT try while the ball is in upward flight outside the cylinder.
True -- the throw ends when the ball touches any player.

Quote:
6- A designated spot throw-in for the non-offended team always follows a foul when no FTs are to be shot.
False -- if the foul was during a throw-in following a basket, the team can still run the end-line (assuming the throw-in is on the end-line)

Quote:
7- Only one visible manufacturer's logo/trademark is permitted on the team jersey.
False -- not allowed on the jersey

Quote:
8- An American flag not exceeding 2X3 inches may be worn anywhere on the team jersy provided it doesn't interfere with the visibility of the player's number.
True -- at least here in IL.

Quote:
True -- only the 6' radius circle is required

Quote:
10- After the ball tossed but before it is tapped, nonjumpers may have a foot break the plane of the restraining circle.
False -- this restriction ends when the ball is tapped.

Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Quote:
Bob, you have a rule reference for this? I just looked thru my NF book and I can't find anything that says the ball becomes dead when it touches another player. It makes sense if that's the rule, but I can't find it.

Chuck
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

So, if B1 steps into the lane and blocks A1's shot, but the ball still goes in the basket, we're going to deny the made FT?

Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Point of order

BktBallRef - where under rule 4 is "little" defined, and how does this quiz qualify as "little?"
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Well, all 10 questions came from the NF Part 2 exam, which has 100 questions. So, I figure this is "little."

Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

True, per the definitions of setting the AP arrow.

True.

False - the dribble ends when the ball comes to rest in the player's hands or the ball is passed or shot.

False - an unsporting technical is defined as a noncontact foul.

True - any touching (outside the cylinder) of the ball during a FT is goaltending - count the FT and charge B1 with a technical foul.

False - If A1 scores a basket and A2 fouls B1, B still gets to run the endline.

True.

True.

True.

False - restrictions end when the ball is legally touched by one of the nonjumpers.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Bob, you have a rule reference for this? I just looked thru my NF book and I can't find anything that says the ball becomes dead when it touches another player. It makes sense if that's the rule, but I can't find it.

Chuck
I'm not Bob, but here are the references (NFHS):

4-22-2: Goaltending when a FT is touched outside the cylinder.

6-7-9: Ball is dead when a violation occurs.

10-3-11: T for GT or BI during a FT.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, if B1 steps into the lane and blocks A1's shot, but the ball still goes in the basket, we're going to deny the made FT?
Basically. The FT will not count (because it was a dead ball which entered the basket), but A1 will get one point for the goaltending.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

4-22-2: Goaltending when a FT is touched outside the cylinder.
Hey, great catch Mark. This is the only example I can think of in which GT is called on the UPward flight of the ball. Nice job!

Chuck
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Basically. The FT will not count (because it was a dead ball which entered the basket), but A1 will get one point for the goaltending.
You sure know how to spoil a person's fun!

Old Sat Dec 08, 2001, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Quote:

Chuck
In addition to what Mark Dexter cited (above), I'll offer 4-20-3 (last year's reference) "The free throw ends when ... the try touches any player."

In this instance, it touched a player -- and was GT. Award the point, but don't count it as a made free throw.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2001, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Answers! Bob got them all correct. I'll use his answers and mine to explain each one.

False. The arrow is set during a free-throw only when it's a common foul (bonus situation, such as at the beginning of an OT). Otherwise, it's set on the throw-in.

False. It's a team foul. They throw "for coaching purposes" in just to make you think it's on the coach.

False. An interrupted dribble is not one of the ways a dribble can end.

False. Unsporting is non-contact.

True. This one has been explained at length.

False. The non-offended team doesn't get the ball.

False. No logo is allowed on a jersey or undershirt.

True. Almost identical to the rule, except for the word anywhere, which may throw you off.

True. Only the 6' circle is required.

False. They can move after it's tapped but they can't break the circle plane.