The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

French Basketball

French FEEBLE game on The Cheese Channel. The Surrendermonkeys beat the Rifledroppers 23.47 to 14.85 (they keep the score in metric) when Jean-Claude Girlyman accidentally bounced the ball off his nose into the other team's basket in the final seconds. The most amusing thing is that when a player is called for a foul, he raises both his hands over his head. The announcer said it is not a rule, just habit. At the end of the game, the loser hoisted a white flag. BTW - their jersey numbers were in metric also and the ball was a rhomboid. They had designer nets and rims.

Q: What are refs Cupcake and Studmuffin required to do
upon hearing the final horn.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 04:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long
French Basketball
Q: What are refs Cupcake and Studmuffin required to do
upon hearing the final horn.
They must report to the head ref, Croissant, and the three of them will surrender their whistles to Kaiser Roll.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

T or F Q?
1.If airborne A1 passes the ball instead of shooting, he/she is still an airborne shooter as it relates to a player control foul.False, team control foul

2. During a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, the ball is in the frontcourt when both feet of the dribbler or the ball touch the court entirely in the frontcourt. This is false also.

3. It is a technical foul for an opponent of the throw in team to reach across the boundry line and knock down a throw in pass.False, this is neither a violation or a Techincal. This is a "throw in pass". Once the ball leaves the thrower's hands, the throw in boundry plane restriction end for the opponents.

Last edited by Indianaref; Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 05:45pm.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

1. Held ball situation, possession arrow favors team A. Player A1 takes the ball out of bounds. He extends the ball across the line and out over the court, where B1 grabs the ball and ties it up. What is the call?

a. Violation when the ball crossed the line, B’s ball
b. Technical foul on B1
c. Warning on B1, if it happens again it is a technical
d. Held ball, B gets possession
e. Held ball, A keeps possession

E. Arrow never changed.

Wouldn't D be the answer here, since team A just had the last alternating possession and is taking it out of bounds they put the ball in play by putting the ball over the line and getting tied up for a jump ball. I know there is no team control on a throw-in but since he is tied up for a jump ball doesn't the arrow go to team b? or am I reading this wrong? was it that the arrow is pointed to A and they are just putting the ball in play bc of something else other than the last play going to the arrow?
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 05:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
T or F Q?

2. During a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, the ball is in the frontcourt when both feet of the dribbler or the ball touch the court entirely in the frontcourt.

This is false also. If player A1 is dribbling the ball on the division line, right foot in front court and left one in backcourt, if A1 lifts his left foot, (right foot now the pivot), he is now in front court.
You're correct in that the answer is "false", but your reasoning is wrong. The play is during a dribble. If the ball hasn't gone into the front court, it doesn't matter what the dribbler does what his feet. You can't have a backcourt violation until the ball and both feet are in the front court. In the play above, A1 is dribbling the ball on the division line, not in the frontcourt. He is still in the backcourt and can't commit a violation, no matter what his feet do.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 05:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 181174
1. Held ball situation, possession arrow favors team A. Player A1 takes the ball out of bounds. He extends the ball across the line and out over the court, where B1 grabs the ball and ties it up. What is the call?

b. Technical foul on B1

E. Arrow never changed.

Wouldn't D be the answer here, since team A just had the last alternating possession and is taking it out of bounds they put the ball in play by putting the ball over the line and getting tied up for a jump ball. I know there is no team control on a throw-in but since he is tied up for a jump ball doesn't the arrow go to team b? or am I reading this wrong? was it that the arrow is pointed to A and they are just putting the ball in play bc of something else other than the last play going to the arrow?
No, D wouldn't be the right answer. The original AP throw-in by team A never ended. That's why team A keeps the arrow. Rule 4-42-5. Also see case book play 7.6.3SitF.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shave-tail
1. 1/10 A10. The snap goes off QB A11's hands and the ball rolls to the A7. B21 bats the ball at the A8 and the ball rolls into the end zone where A22 picks up ball in the end zone, runs to the A30, fumbles and B22 recovers.
When B22 recovered, did he just lay on the ground with it, or did he start to run with it? If so, which direction, and did he score or was he tackled, and if so, where was he tackled at? Were there any fouls that occurred during the run by B22?
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 06:22pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
Reading is fundamental..
Reading isn't fun, it drives me mental.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie
It's an automatic T for coming across and hitting the ball!
But only if the ball has not left the thrower's hands - once the ball is in the air on the toss (same time as the count ends), the plane does not restrict the defender's reach.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You're correct in that the answer is "false", but your reasoning is wrong. The play is during a dribble. If the ball hasn't gone into the front court, it doesn't matter what the dribbler does what his feet. You can't have a backcourt violation until the ball and both feet are in the front court. In the play above, A1 is dribbling the ball on the division line, not in the frontcourt. He is still in the backcourt and can't commit a violation, no matter what his feet do.
JR, you must be at your computer 24/7. No more than 30 seconds after I posted my answers, I realized my mistake and edited my answer. Yes, both feet and ball during a dribble. My original answer is only good for a player that is holding the ball, not dribbling. Thank you
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

b. Technical foul on B1

E. Arrow never changed.

No, D wouldn't be the right answer. The original AP throw-in by team A never ended. That's why team A keeps the arrow. Rule 4-42-5. Also see case book play 7.6.3SitF.

I will read the rule tonight when I get home from work, thanks for the clarification. I am still a little confused on why this doesn't go to the arrow but I guess after I read it in the rulebook and casebook it will make sense.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I will read the rule tonight when I get home from work, thanks for the clarification. I am still a little confused on why this doesn't go to the arrow but I guess after I read it in the rulebook and casebook it will make sense.
If it clears up any confusion, there is NO team control during the throw in, so if Team A has the arrow, and they're getting ready to thow the ball in and the ball gets tied up then the ball goes back to Team A.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

I think we maybe have talked about this before but I couldn't find it re: AP.

Say a held ball is called and AP is with Team A. A1 has the ball for a throw-in, and attempts to pass it to A2, but the pass goes long and goes out of bounds. Does it going out of bounds constitute the end of the throw in? Or is it Team B's ball on the violation and A keeps the arrow?

Thanks.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
I think we maybe have talked about this before but I couldn't find it re: AP.

Say a held ball is called and AP is with Team A. A1 has the ball for a throw-in, and attempts to pass it to A2, but the pass goes long and goes out of bounds. Does it going out of bounds constitute the end of the throw in? Or is it Team B's ball on the violation and A keeps the arrow?

Thanks.
Team B gets the ball and the AP arrow. The arrow is set after the throw-in ends or the throw-in team violates.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You do go to the arrow, but the key is knowing when the arrow changes. It does not change until the throwin ends or the throwin team violates. The throwin ends when the ball is touched legally in bounds after the thrower throws the ball. In this case, the ball is tied up before he released it, so the throwin never ended. That's how A gets the ball on the arrow again.