View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 06:51pm

#1.) The rule says you can grant the TO up to the point you start your 5 second count. Once you start your count, then it is too late for the TO. If the replay clearly shows the official count at 2, then we got some problems here.

#2.) With the coach so far out on the court, couldn't the official reason that he missed the initial request and grant it even though he's into his count. I know with it being really loud, it's possible to not hear the request and then you need to go with your site.

#3.) and last, I don't think you really want to open that can of worms. In other words, draw attention to yourself as an official and T the coach in this situation. Doing that, could very well cost you an assignment later on in the playoff's. I think I'm blowing it dead and giving the coach a TO. This is a clear example of why you don't have young inexperienced officials working playoff games, because just like the knucklehead that called a OOB play late in a 5th grade girls game, you wouldn't want to stick to the letter of the law here and call a technical, imho. If the team has not in-bounded the ball yet, you can get away with it. No harm by granting. You go the other route, you're in the paper the next day, along with the coach for a dumb mistake that cost his team a conference title game. As far as that schools concern, your name will live in infinity. I know, I had this happen a couple years ago and to this day, they still remember me for that call that they felt cost them the game.