The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 19, 2001, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Team B scores a basket. After A1 releases the pass on the ensuing throw-in,but before A3 catches/possess/controls the pass, (a) A3 is fouled by B1 or(b) A5-away from the pass- is fouled by B2. Both fouls occur near the baseline.

Do you allow team A to run the baseline? I was informed recently that the only time team A would retain the right to run the end line is if A1 had not yet released the pass when the foul occurred...any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

i'd appreciate thoughts on both the NCAA and NFHS rules.

Old Mon Nov 19, 2001, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 112448
Team B scores a basket. After A1 releases the pass on the ensuing throw-in,but before A3 catches/possess/controls the pass, (a) A3 is fouled by B1 or(b) A5-away from the pass- is fouled by B2. Both fouls occur near the baseline.

Do you allow team A to run the baseline? I was informed recently that the only time team A would retain the right to run the end line is if A1 had not yet released the pass when the foul occurred...any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

I don't have this year's NF book, so I can't comment on that, but I believe the rule is same as NCAA.

In NCAA the team would retain the right to run the endline, because the throw-in has not ended when the foul/violation occurred. See rule 7, A.R. 10.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2001, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Yes in both NCAA and NFHS team A would still be allowed to run the ebdline.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2001, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 112448

A is still allowed to run the baseline. The main body of the case book gives an example where the foul occurs before A releases the ball. This doesn't mean that the rule applies ONLY in this instance.

THe section at the front that deals with new rules, and the NFHS interps on the web-site both make it clear that the rule applies until the throw in ends, and include a kicking violation (which is, of course, simultaneous with the end of the throw-in).
Old Mon Nov 19, 2001, 11:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

The new issue of Referee, which I got today, has an entire article on cases involving the new rule.

I did find one mistake (so far) in the magazine however. In one article, it says you don't shoot free throws after the final buzzer unless the final score could be affected. The intent is correct, but the semantics are not. Of course the final score could be affected if free throws are made. The score could go from 80-20 to 80-22. What they should say is that you only shoot them if they can affect the outcome of the game.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
The new issue of Referee, which I got today, has an entire article on cases involving the new rule.

I did find one mistake (so far) in the magazine however.
A mistake in REFEREE magazine? Imagine that!

I hope they don't sue me for using the word REFEREE!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith