The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

it's all on tape

My Son (13 years old, almost 14) will begin his officiating career next weekend. We've probably had about 6 months of pregamming and rule book reading. He's seen several of my games (sure hope I didn;t screw him up to bad). I decided to have him bring our to video recorder last week and tape a game. This would serve several puposes as I could watch myself and make adjustments and he could talk into the tape whenever he had questions. We had a great time with it.

Here's the funny part...he stood at the top of the bleachers tableside. There was 2 Dads whom you could hear jack jawing about the officiating all game long. I wish I knew how to post some of the tape so everyone could hear some of their comments. They yelled probably the to 7-8 rule myths. 1st foul call of the game is against the team they are rooting for, they yell "let em play". 2 trips and we're at the other end and A1 initiates the contact but not enough for a foul and they're screaming for the foul call.

In my book, these 2 fans win the HOMERS OF THE YEAR AWARD!!
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats. I am sure your son will make you proud...maybe a future DI...starting at this age, you never know.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
Congrats. I am sure your son will make you proud...maybe a future DI...starting at this age, you never know.
As OS already informed us, ANYBODY can and should do DI. It's easy.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
My Son (13 years old, almost 14) will begin his officiating career next weekend.

Wow. He must be good to merit the capital "S!"
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

i wish your son good luck. just be careful,it seems like the younger the official, the more they try to work him.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfox
i wish your son good luck. just be careful,it seems like the younger the official, the more they try to work him.
I hear ya. My intention is to have him work with me for a few months on little dudes ball. I've got a couple of buddies who said they'd work a couple games with him soon as well just so he can work with someone else. This is my strategy to help him get experiance, improve and we can all help keep the coaches off his back. However, I think it might be good to see him T a coach and then I can come in and finish him off if needed.