The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Going to the tape

Last night my crew had a pretty good V G/B 4A double header. I also happened to be taped for broadcast on our local cable provider. We had our A game for the girls, possibly the best week looked all season. The boys game was a different story. I felt that maybe we were way too tight for 4A boys (it had been a while since we've had boys in this league). On the other hand, the game was just one of those scrappy, everyone guards with their hands, lots of fouls nights. I'm not sure if it was us or the way the game was played. I had 2 illegal screens that could have been let go and as a crew we had way to many "and 1" whistles for my taste. I'm really looking forward to watching tonight to get a better idea of what happened. I'm waiting to hear back from my partners. I'm really thinking about asking the assignor to watch the game and give us some specific feedback. We have a new assignor in that league and he's all about educating officials so I think I can ask him for feedback without jeapordizing our credibility as a crew to him. I guess this is more of a venting post, but do you think it's a good idea to ask for some feedback? I'd really like to hear the assignor's point of view on this one.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 10:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
...but do you think it's a good idea to ask for some feedback? I'd really like to hear the assignor's point of view on this one.
It couldn't hurt. It's rare that we get a chance to see ourselves on tape at the HS level. Rarer still that we can get someone to take a look at the tape.

I had one game this season make to a local cable education channel. Had a friend tape it and I watched it while laying around sick one day. I'm still amazed how the camera actually does add 10lbs

Over-all I was happy with what I saw and I didn't miss any violations or fouls. But I was unhappy that 2 whistles I did question myself on during the game were bad whistles after reviewing the tape. One was really egregious b/c I called a very, very marginal contact on what turned out to be an 'and 1'.

Of course I wanted to throw a rock at the television listening to the announcers.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing the announcers, especially on one play in the girls game. I let a pretty good push go because the offensive player kept possession of the ball and had a clear path to the hoop. She ended up getting fouled on a second shot (she missed the lay up). On the shooting foul the coach asked me about the push and I explained that I was patient and his player was able to come through the contact so I didn't want to take away a chance for a lay up. I'm sure I'll hear it on that one. I've seen myself on tape at least once a season when I get tape from schools I know well just to learn from, but never with announcers other than my crew and I.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
It's rare that we get a chance to see ourselves on tape at the HS level.
It doesn't have to be rare. Last year I probably got 10 game tapes of high school games. If you have a self addressed envelope that has postage and a blank tape most coaches will make a copy for you. It helps tremendously to look at yourself on tape!