The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Worse than Church Women

Is it just me, or have you all noticed that basketball officials are worse than church women when it comes to gossiping? As I admitted the other day, I made a HUGE error when it came to enforcing a block/charge the other day. I freely admit my mistake and know I should have gotten it right (and thankfully it didn't impact the game).

I emailed both of my partners, told them how I got it wrong (they had the blarge part) and let's just be better the next day. Anyhow, two days later I am talking to my buddy who then asked me if I was there when the guy messed up at the regional. I said, "It was me! Who did you hear it from?" And I don't care if it is one of my buddies who knew, but it was all guys I never work with and some I don't even know. This business is so filled with cut-throat people who love to see others fail or act like they have never made mistakes. Anyhow, that is my Vent.

Is it the same in other areas? I know I see a lot of attacks and stuff on the boards as well, but at least you are talking to one another and not gossiping behind backs like wildfire.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 12:17pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Referees are people and just like people in any other walk of life, there are good people and bad people. Some people love to make themselves feel better by talking about the mistakes and faults of others. That's going to be true in any business, church, avocation, whatever.

I'm sorry that it happened to you, but it does happen.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Prerequisites to Good Officiating

9. Loyalty to fellow officials implies an active, intelligent desire to carry out the intent of the rules by a well-coordinated team. Each official must be willing to share the responsibility and must avoid attempts to shift the blame. There should be no press or radio interview about a game worked by any official and never any criticism of a fellow official.

That has to begin at home.....
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Referees are people and just like people in any other walk of life, there are good people and bad people. Some people love to make themselves feel better by talking about the mistakes and faults of others. That's going to be true in any business, church, avocation, whatever.
...and in any gender, btw.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
I made a HUGE error when it came to enforcing a block/charge the other day.
Sounds like the crew made a huge error, where were they when you were enforcing it?
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

yes i see a lot of -- "hey you did a good job today" then as soon as you turn your back the axe gets slammed into it around here.

i dont get involved with that but the only thing i do get involved is that there are some guys I wont work with and we have the option to "black-list" certain partners. There are a handful of guys that I will not work with because of several issues with them, mostly I do not respect them because of some of their actions and how they carry themselves.

you cannot stop this all you can do is let your actions speak for themselves. figure out your weaknesses for yourself and address them. I have several and I pregame these in -- like in gray area coverage I tell me partner to help with travels as I am weak with that call, also I like working with guys who have much better rules knowledge in 3rd world scenarios. I have even turned down 2 games simply because I knew that if anything screwy came up I had the potential to screw it up big time and I that could really set me back. if it were just calling a game I would be fine -- but if a screwy situation came up and my partner wasnt sure and it fell on me, well I was just not ready. I have also worked with guys that took games that they were not ready for -- big crowd, competitive players/coaches, cheerleaders -- the whole nine. They get like deer with a headlight on them. know what you can do, and keep trying to improve on that. a big screw up early can only set you back, but if you plan it right and make the right choices who cares what yahoos say about you behind your back.

just do what you do and try and get the people that need to notice you notice you on the court.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

I have noticed the further up the Referee ladder you go the worst and more shots people take at you becuase of the scare that you may be better than them. Like you will take their last meal off the table..
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
...and in any gender, btw.
No, no, no....that can't be right. The original post stated "Worse Than Church Wimmen". What could possibly be worse than that(he innocently asked)?
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

"Worse than Church Women" is just the old phrase for how fast gossip spreads in church circles. No offense was meant to women, to churches, or to men that feel they gossip better than women and were give the number 2 slot.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
I have noticed the further up the Referee ladder you go the worst and more shots people take at you becuase of the scare that you may be better than them. Like you will take their last meal off the table..
Yep, been on the receiving end of many a knife in the back on this one...
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

so offense was meant to the 3-toed sloth who we all know loves to gossip about rule interpretations and the gradual decline of Keynesian economics and how it pertains to the inverse of proper mechanical application of said rules.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
"Worse than Church Women" is just the old phrase for how fast gossip spreads in church circles. No offense was meant to women, to churches, or to men that feel they gossip better than women and were give the number 2 slot.
Well, I certainly wasn't offended. Hell, I agree with you. It's been downhill ever since we gave wimmen the vote.

And don't get me started on allowing 'em to drive.....
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, I certainly wasn't offended. Hell, I agree with you. It's been downhill ever since we gave wimmen the vote.

Opps! Don't you mean wimmin? (avoiding any use of the letters m.e.n. in that pronoun)

Great! Now we have the annoying SLANG police.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

Be careful.

When Hillary's president she's gonna round you up and you'll never be heard from again.

You looking forward to spending the rest of your life in a cell with Barak Obama?
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:50pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Ref
Opps! Don't you mean wimmin? (avoiding any use of the letters m.e.n. in that pronoun)
Good point.