The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

The Bobby Knight effect

It did not take long for the generals opinion of officiating to reach the fan base and give them something else absolutely ridiculous to yell in the direction of officials. Last night, A10 game the officials were allowing the teams to play and a fan across the aisle from me had had enough and proceeded to shout "how many games have you worked this week". So it took the place of "your blind" "call the foul" and all the other goofy stuff people yell among 10 to 20K of their closest friends.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

I can't believe this thread has gone over 9 hours and 112 view with no response, so I'll start it. Let's turn this thread into something creative.

What are some of the more humorous things you've heard coming from the fan section. No comments from coaches please -- that can be a different thread. I just want to hear some of the creative fan cheers towards officials.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:24pm
Official & Member

from an old lady at a V-girls game: "When I get old and I can't see, I'm gonna be a referee!" during a free throw when the gym was pretty quiet...(never heard that before)..mild laughter from the crowd. I couldn't resist. I turned to her and said "Well, you're half way there already". The students sitting around her howled.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I was reffing with my glasses one game (I almost always wear contacts, but one had ripped and I'd not yet gone to disposable lenses). After calling a line violation on a home free throw shooter, I heard someone in the crowd behind me, "You'd be better off without the glasses."

My partner last week said he had someone shout during a quiet moment, "Hey ref, I know you can't see. I work for the eye doctor and you missed your appointment."
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

When I first started it was junior high boys game, and one of the players was cherrypicking. The ball was lobbed from the other end of the court, and the kid went in for an uncontested layup. This woman screaming at the top of her lungs.."HE'S OFFSIDE, HE'S OFFSIDE....How dumb are you, can you not call an offside." This was maybe my 4th or 5th game of my career, I turned to her and said I know that I am really new but Mam'e I think we need grass or ice for that one. She turned a bright shade of red and her husband kinda just shook his head!!!
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

I actually got the "back to Foot Locker" comment from a kid in the stands a couple weeks ago. I actually started laughing on the court, ran by, shouting "good one!!"
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
During an 8th grade boys game, I call a basket interference. The next thing I know, I hear some idiot yelling from the stands "Since when they have a call for Ring Around The Rosey, come on Ref stop making stuff up." All my partner and I could do was laugh.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 04:00am
Never Stop Learning

Was working the other night and a kid yelled to my partner," Hey ref I found your cell phone. It says four missed calls." We all cracked up.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Packed house the other night. Every time the student section didn't like a call they would chant, "take his whistle!" in unison.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 11:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
Was working the other night and a kid yelled to my partner," Hey ref I found your cell phone. It says four missed calls." We all cracked up.
Nice.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
Oh my - that is brilliant!!
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

I got a couple. After a Jr. girls game a few years ago.

Fan: I can't believe you guys get paid for this sh*t!

My Partner: Yeah it's pretty bad basketball isn't it?

And last night at a Sr. boys zone championship.

Fan: Hey ref how much are they paying you?!

My Partner: $45, that's our standard rate.

Fan: I'm talking about Britannia (the visitors). How much are they paying you?

My Partner: Actually the King George (home) athletic department will pay us, since it's in their gym.

Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I've told this one before but here it is again...

After reporting a double foul to the table, the resident howler monkey yelled at me to "call it both ways"

The student section at my kids HS have gotten in to trouble before for some of their sayings so this year after every call they don't like, they yell out "We politely disagree". They even have shirts that say 6th man club on the front and the "We politely disagree" on the back.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmckenna
The student section at my kids HS have gotten in to trouble before for some of their sayings so this year after every call they don't like, they yell out "We politely disagree". They even have shirts that say 6th man club on the front and the "We politely disagree" on the back.
Classic. Absolutely classic.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 06:13pm
Huck Finn

Check this out: http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6495276

I have been saying, for some time, that a light will soon be shined on officials because of the money involved in sports. Some treated my comments like they were ridiculous.

This article is pretty good except for some erroneous statements at the beginning.