The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 23, 2006, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Bobby Knight wannabes

Get ready for more Bobby Knight wannabes........ Twice today, during the Texas Tech-Bucknell game, I watched as Knight put his hands on officials and moved them out of his way near his bench. The officials were positioned briefly in front of Knight's chair and he became annoyed apparently because they obstructed his view. I've seen him do this before and I guess the guys working his games consider this acceptable behavior.

I've heard an occasional complaint in my games, but I'm not sure how I would react if a coach decided to physically help me move out of his way.
Old Sat Dec 23, 2006, 10:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I had a female coach push my tush once in that situation. I kept moving back to the same spot, hoping she would do it again, but no such luck.
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 12:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Short, quiet warning to the coach; once. "Coach, I think we can agree that it's more important that I have a good view."
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 12:20am
Do not give a damn!!

If we saw the same thing...............

If I saw what you are talking about on the ESPN SportsCenter, I do not even know if that would deserve a comment. Also we do not know what was said and the conversation did not seem at all confrontational. Let us also keep in mind that an officials and coaches relationship at that level is a totally different relationship. You cannot compare what took place at this game the same way of what you or I do. I have also had coaches make contact with me during a game and I was not offended and there was no confrontation involved. There is more than what meets the eye sometimes.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

I agree

JRut, I agree. I'm not familiar with that coach-official relationship nor that level. I also agree that neither situation seemed to be confrontational. One of the two times, however, Knight was clearly agitated by the official's positioning. He grabbed the guy by both shoulders and appeared to "help him move" while barking in his ear the entire time. Obviously, the officials had no problem with it.

I'm not a Knight-basher at all, but I know how often high school coaches emulate what they see on TV.
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 11:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsRefJunior
JRut, I agree. I'm not familiar with that coach-official relationship nor that level. I also agree that neither situation seemed to be confrontational. One of the two times, however, Knight was clearly agitated by the official's positioning. He grabbed the guy by both shoulders and appeared to "help him move" while barking in his ear the entire time. Obviously, the officials had no problem with it.

I'm not a Knight-basher at all, but I know how often high school coaches emulate what they see on TV.
The relationship at that level is pretty clear based on my viewing this:

Knight: You're in my way. MOVE.
Official: Yes, sir. You're the boss, sir. Can I come back next year, sir?
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 12:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
The relationship at that level is pretty clear based on my viewing this:

Knight: You're in my way. MOVE.
Official: Yes, sir. You're the boss, sir. Can I come back next year, sir?

Or: "Thank you, sir. May I please have another."
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 01:06pm

Quote:
Ain't no coach grabbing me with 2 hands and telling me to move. He can move. If it's college, he can move all the way down to the baseline. The Center slot right in front of the coach is a tough spot. I find myself having to make adjustments in where I stand over there. If the coach is standing there, there's not a lot of room. Likewise, and I would like to get your opinions on this. I try to always take the up route towards half court (creating 2 trails) as opposed to the down route below F/T line extended when I get straight-lined. Your thoughts....
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Get ready for more Bobby Knight wannabes........ Twice today, during the Texas Tech-Bucknell game, I watched as Knight put his hands on officials and moved them out of his way near his bench. The officials were positioned briefly in front of Knight's chair and he became annoyed apparently because they obstructed his view. I've seen him do this before and I guess the guys working his games consider this acceptable behavior.

I've heard an occasional complaint in my games, but I'm not sure how I would react if a coach decided to physically help me move out of his way.
I really dont care for coaches touching me at all, whether its to pat me on the shoulder or move me out of the way. I try to keep moving in every position so that wont be a problem. They touch you once, they will touch you again and again. This goes for male and female coaches.