Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 12:23pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

[QUOTE]Originally posted by parkssa
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

(6) Ten Second Half-Court Violation: Official "starts" the count once the ball is touched by a player on the court. The count continues until the offense has team control in their front court, not when a player releases the ball for a pass. A defensive player batting the ball away from the offensive player does not stop the count.

Another "problem" with the definition quoted above is the bolded statement which implies that the ball must touch a player in the front court. According to case play 9.8, the count terminates as soon as the ball has front court status....
parksaa,
Nope. Not a problem. Team control continues during the pass.
4-12-3.
mick
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 01:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by parkssa
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

(6) Ten Second Half-Court Violation: Official "starts" the count once the ball is touched by a player on the court. The count continues until the offense has team control in their front court, not when a player releases the ball for a pass. A defensive player batting the ball away from the offensive player does not stop the count.

Another "problem" with the definition quoted above is the bolded statement which implies that the ball must touch a player in the front court. According to case play 9.8, the count terminates as soon as the ball has front court status....
parksaa,

Nope. Not a problem. Team control continues during the pass.
4-12-3.
mick
Yes, team control continues during the pass, so if the count hits ten while the ball is in the air before it hits the frontcourt, it is a violation. However, if the ball hits the floor (or anything else, for that matter) in frontcourt before you get to ten seconds, you stop the count because the ball has achieved frontcourt status.

As stated above, case 9.8 clearly outlines both situations.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Missunderstood Basketball Rules

Art N-I think your "leter to parents" is a great idea. However, I do disagre with one of your "rules". Several years back I called a charge "not player control" on a player. Obviously not a player control foul (nor was my mechanics signal for a player control foul (but a push) mechanic. The team coach to who the foul was called on wanted to know why the other team was shooting a one and one (8th foul). Long story-short, I finally gave up trying to explain the difference in a "charge" and a "player
control" foul to the coach. And I vowed to never again call a "charge". Now all my charges are a "pushing" foul. This is one of the most understood "calls", even by fellow officials. Keep up the good work.