The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Misunderstood basketball rules (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3209-misunderstood-basketball-rules.html)

Art N Tue Nov 13, 2001 06:05pm

OK gang it's here!

I had a discussion on another thread about how I go over the "Misunderstood basketball rules" with our coaches and parnets before each season. This has greatly helped to reduce the whinning and complaining in the league, since I took over.

I finally have them on our new site. Go to http://www.hilltopathletic.org
and click on program & rules. You might want to check out the "welcome" letter to parents which address some other issues I'm sure some of you have had, too.

Please let me know if you any additions, corrections... that may improve it more. I look forward to your comments.

rgaudreau Tue Nov 13, 2001 06:14pm

That URL doesn't seem to be working. Is it typed correctly?

REn

Art N Tue Nov 13, 2001 06:17pm

I just clicked on the message with the URL and it went okay. Anyone else havin' a problem?

rgaudreau Tue Nov 13, 2001 06:20pm

For some reason it works in Internet Explorer but not in Netscape.

Hmmm.

Ren

mick Tue Nov 13, 2001 07:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Art N
OK gang it's here!

I had a discussion on another thread about how I go over the "Misunderstood basketball rules" with our coaches and parnets before each season. This has greatly helped to reduce the whinning and complaining in the league, since I took over.

I finally have them on our new site. Go to http://www.hilltopathletic.org
and click on program & rules. You might want to check out the "welcome" letter to parents which address some other issues I'm sure some of you have had, too.

Please let me know if you any additions, corrections... that may improve it more. I look forward to your comments.

Art,
With a quick read through (with Explorer)... my compliments and an <u>Attaboy</u>.
mick

BktBallRef Tue Nov 13, 2001 07:43pm

Just a small correction, Art.

(6) Ten Second Half-Court Violation: <B>Official "starts" the count once the ball is touched by a player on the court.</B> The count continues until the offense has team control in their front court, not when a player releases the ball for a pass. A defensive player batting the ball away from the offensive player does not stop the count.

The count doesn't start until a team has control in their BC. Your statement indicates that the count starts when a player on either team touches the ball in the thrower's BC.

9-8
A player shall not be, nor may his/her team be, in <b>continuous control of a bal</B>l which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds.

Art N Tue Nov 13, 2001 08:01pm

DOAH!!!
I pulled a Homer Simpson. Thank you for the correction. I should have caught that. That's why I need your eyes to review this gang!

The count doesn't start until a team has control in their BC. Your statement indicates that the count starts when a player on either team touches the ball in the thrower's BC.

9-8
A player shall not be, nor may his/her team be, in <b>continuous control of a bal</B>l which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds. [/B][/QUOTE]

Mick, Thank you for the kind words, it means something coming from a vet & gent like yourself.
BTW...what ever happened to Todd? He always had great input, too.
Any other websites I should look at or post this on?

Camron Rust Tue Nov 13, 2001 08:15pm

I would add that Mick's correction only applies to NF rules. I do believe that the NCAA 10 second count begins on the touch.

I think it is helpful, in any "misunderstood rules" document or presentation, to point out sources of the confusion. When another league does use it as it's commonly believed, and your audience continues to see it that way on TV, they will only think you are wrong. If you point out, up front, that the rule is actually different than the NBA/NCAA or was changed at some point, it will serve to increase the understanding.

BktBallRef Tue Nov 13, 2001 09:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Camron Rust
I would add that Mick's correction only applies to NF rules.
The name's Tony, not Mick. :)

Camron Rust Tue Nov 13, 2001 09:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

I would add that Mick's correction only applies to NF rules.
The name's Tony, not Mick. :)

Ooops....looked up the page 1 too many posts on the name reference. ;-)

How could I possibly confuse you for Mick. I'm Soooo Sorry for the mix U.P., Tony. ;-)

BktBallRef Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:46pm

Quote:

How could I possibly confuse you for Mick. I'm Soooo Sorry for the mix U.P., Tony. ;-)
I have no idea. Mick is always arguing some point of the rules, while I'm just trying to get along with everybody! ;)

JLC Wed Nov 14, 2001 09:14am

Misunderstood Rules

With #15, you may want to add something about the spot throw-in, where the player has an area 3 feet wide and unlimited backward. This rule is even still called wrong (traveling) by some youth officials (usually players or coaches when certified refs are not used).

bob jenkins Wed Nov 14, 2001 11:48am

Quote:

I would add that Mick's correction only applies to NF rules. I do believe that the NCAA 10 second count begins on the touch.

No. This NCAA rule is the same as the NFHS rule.

ScottParks Wed Nov 14, 2001 11:56am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef

(6) Ten Second Half-Court Violation: Official "starts" the count once the ball is touched by a player on the court. The count continues until the offense has team control in their front court, not when a player releases the ball for a pass. A defensive player batting the ball away from the offensive player does not stop the count.

Another "problem" with the definition quoted above is the bolded statement which implies that the ball must touch a player in the front court. According to case play 9.8, the count terminates as soon as the ball has front court status....

mick Wed Nov 14, 2001 12:17pm

Indeed

Quote:

Camron,
Tony is 5" taller and talks funny.
mick