The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Rec ball situation (I know, not real basketball). Team A is trailing in OT by one point when they make a basket in the closing moments. Team B, now trailing by one point, immediately requests a time out which I grant while noticing the clock tick from 0:01 to 0:00. Player B1, without realizing that I am going to put one second back on the clock for a B throw-in, picks up the ball and throws it down the court, displaying his frustration in thinking his team had just lost the game. Do you put the second on the clock and T player B1, put the second on the clock and ignore B1's throwing the ball down the court or would you even consider B1's reaction a T at all? (he was upset and did toss the ball far and hard) What would you have done?
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tweets
ZZZap him

I would put the second back on the clock and T him, just for the point of the matter, if he had slammed the ball down like that at any other point in the game you would have given him a T right? My opinion: teach him a lesson.

OH Yeah,....give him the time out too.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 06:38am
In Memoriam

Paulis,in this case I think I would ignore it,rec league or not.Frustration does not automatically mean an unsportsmanlike act.You can find plenty of valid T's out there without going looking for one.The player didn't do anything to make you or your partner(s) look bad.Give 'em the TO and let 'em finish it.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Paulis,in this case I think I would ignore it,rec league or not.Frustration does not automatically mean an unsportsmanlike act.You can find plenty of valid T's out there without going looking for one.The player didn't do anything to make you or your partner(s) look bad.Give 'em the TO and let 'em finish it.
Slamming the ball to the ground is an act of unsportsmanship IMHO and the offending player should be stuck with a T. Put the 1 second back on the clock and let his own team deal with the fact that he probably cost them the game. Slamming the ball shows disrespect to the officials and in general shows that the player is totally out of control. I have never witnessed a coach questioning a T in that situation.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

fox40, he did not slam the ball on the ground. He threw the ball down the court. Does this make any difference in your eyes?
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulis
Rec ball situation (I know, not real basketball). Team A is trailing in OT by one point when they make a basket in the closing moments. Team B, now trailing by one point, immediately requests a time out which I grant while noticing the clock tick from 0:01 to 0:00.
If the clock moved while you were granting the TO, then the game is over. IF the clock moved after you granted the TO, then reset the clock.

See 5.10.1B and 5.10.1D
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulis
fox40, he did not slam the ball on the ground. He threw the ball down the court. Does this make any difference in your eyes?
No, this is the same act of unsportsmanship as slamming the ball. A Technical Foul is warranted in every case like this as well. I am saying all of this as if there was time left on the clock. IF time has run out THEN he tossed the ball I would forget it, game over.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

My only question is why are you putting time back on the clock. LAG TIME.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Rec league? I would not give him a "T". We are done. Game over.

Seriously, I would concider the lag-time to have ended the game. There may not have been a full tic left for all we know.

Unless Christian Laettner is in the game I don't think they have a chance.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to thank all of those who said that because it is a rec. league you would not T the player. There goes all of our years of training both players (Over 1600 this year ages 7 to 18) and coaches that sportsmanship and fair play must be shown at all times.

We instruct our refs to let nothing go because it is a rec. league. One wonders why there are problems with rec ball!!!

Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Unless Christian Laettner is in the game I don't think they have a chance. [/B][/QUOTE]

You know how to hurt a Kentucky fan.....OUCH!!
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
I would like to thank all of those who said that because it is a rec. league you would not T the player. There goes all of our years of training both players (Over 1600 this year ages 7 to 18) and coaches that sportsmanship and fair play must be shown at all times.

We instruct our refs to let nothing go because it is a rec. league. One wonders why there are problems with rec ball!!!

I agree with you RecRef. I average 160 games per year doing mostly SV High School AAA and AAAA classifications. Unsportsmanlike conduct has increased every year by the coaches AND players since I have been blowing my Fox40. I take partly the blame as an official, but the players mirror their coaches and they all watch the NBA on TV. I have given 4 technicals already during this young HS season for unsportsmanlike conduct to players and coaches alike. If it has to start with me to clean it up, then so be it, but I am tired of listening to coaches who would rather officiate the game than coach their respective teams, and I am tired of players showing officials disrespect and taunting the other team. I may set a new record this year, but I cover this sportmanship concept in my pregame with the team captains AND coaches before the games, so shame on them if they do not heed the warning. Whew......I feel better now!!
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef

For the record:
I said that I would not "T" the player because time has expired.

It would not have any bearing on the outcome of the game. However, if Player A warranted a "T", although time had expired, it would have a bearing on the outcome and I would tag that player.

Mike