The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

I deleted it.

I deleted my thread concerning game management due to the fact that it had no real answer and it was point-less.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
I deleted my thread concerning game management due to the fact that it had no real answer and it was point-less.
. . .so you added another post that has no real answer and is pointless to replace it. Thanks.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Let's take this opportunity to discuss game management.

IMO the "game management" concept is completely over-thought. Comes from a combination of what camps are teaching and an uncertainty on some official's part about just how much sh1t they are willing to take and retain their own self-respect.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 05:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

IMO the "game management" concept is completely over-thought. Comes from a combination of what camps are teaching and an uncertainty on some official's part about just how much sh1t they are willing to take and retain their own self-respect.
Agree. It becomes an excuse for not making calls.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Good point.

It seems like I haven't heard this term as much in camp recently. I wonder if there are others that have come to the same conclusion as you: game management = don't blow the whistle.

Maybe because it's so close to dinner, but I would equate game management to seasoning on a steak. Sometimes you need a little, sometimes you don't need any. Either way, you still need to blow the whistle, or use a knife and fork. (On the steak, Dan, not the players and coaches...)

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Good point.

It seems like I haven't heard this term as much in camp recently. I wonder if there are others that have come to the same conclusion as you: game management = don't blow the whistle.

Maybe because it's so close to dinner, but I would equate game management to seasoning on a steak. Sometimes you need a little, sometimes you don't need any. Either way, you still need to blow the whistle, or use a knife and fork. (On the steak, Dan, not the players and coaches...)
I think the fork could be likened to an ejection, as in, "Stick a fork in him, cause he's done!!"
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 05:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Agree. It becomes an excuse for not making calls.
Agree. Too, it becomes an excuse for making weak calls.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
. . .so you added another post that has no real answer and is pointless to replace it. Thanks.
It is considered poor manners around here to delete a thread. I made an effort to explain to prevent any nefarious suppositions.
Pointless or not, Mr. Pot, you posted in both of them.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Interesting discussion. I have always thought of game management as everything that does not involve blowing the whistle for fouls and violations.

Managing the coaching box. Managing the clock. Managing a frustrated player before it becomes a situation. Things like that. Things that I was not very good at during my first 5 years of officiating.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Interesting discussion. I have always thought of game management as everything that does not involve blowing the whistle for fouls and violations.

Managing the coaching box. Managing the clock. Managing a frustrated player before it becomes a situation. Things like that. Things that I was not very good at during my first 5 years of officiating.
You're right in that regard. It's just that there seems to be a feeling that it also is an excuse to not blow the whistle.

"Coach called me a a$$hole only twice; I got him calmed down so I wouldn't have to stick him for calling me that the third time."

"I saw you knock that shooter down; please don't do it again or I may have to call a foul."

Game management?

I agree that there are real game mangement situations. Maybe you see a player looking frustrated after missing a couple of shots because a defender is playing great defense; if you can get next to him and quietly remind him to not lose his cool, you might prevent something bad from happening later. I also have told the story about team from the School for the Deaf - the team played hard all game, but was down by 30 - 40 late. One of their players had a FT, clearly stepped over the line before it went in, but I chose not to see it. I was commended after the game for not calling it by both an evaluator and the winning coach. I don't make a habit of not calling violations, but this one certainly falls into the "game management" category. I still don't know exactly where that line is; I guess that's why officiating is an art.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is considered poor manners around here to delete a thread. I made an effort to explain to prevent any nefarious suppositions.
Pointless or not, Mr. Pot, you posted in both of them.
I get bored. Mr. Pot?
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
I get bored. Mr. Pot?
As in, "the pot calling the kettle black".
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman

I'm with you z. In your manage the clock aspect, Knowing a team will likely take a timeout. Knowing how much time is on the clock on a restart.

Counting to 5 and 5 (not just 10). Those things that keep you from blowing the whistle because they are corrected before they are a problem.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As in, "the pot calling the kettle black".
OK, I see.