The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Is there an easy place to find NCAA officiating assignments?

If I wanted to find out who was working a game tonight, is there a good place to look ahead of time? I know it's always in the box score afterwards, but didn't know if it was public ahead of time...
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 02:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
If I wanted to find out who was working a game tonight, is there a good place to look ahead of time? I know it's always in the box score afterwards, but didn't know if it was public ahead of time...
I feel confident in saying that you will not find out that information on any site other than when the game is over or already in progress (live box scores). For the most obvious reason those assignments are not going to be made to the public. Also the NCAA games I have been to live, they do not announce who the officials are at the site.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I feel confident in saying that you will not find out that information on any site other than when the game is over or already in progress (live box scores). For the most obvious reason those assignments are not going to be made to the public. Also the NCAA games I have been to live, they do not announce who the officials are at the site.

Peace
Thanks JR. I always thought those were kept private until after the game, too, but someone commented to me on a crew officiating a game tonight and I wondered if that info was public or if he just "knew" somebody.

Appreciate the help!
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Quote:

Peace
Huum JR. I have been fortunate enough to sit courtside at a few SLU games this year over at the Scottrade Center and before the game they print out starters, notes ect on each team and also the officials r on there. We do not get these sheets till about 20 mins before game time tho. Also when they give us the halftime and final game stats they also put the officials on there. This is all for the general public as well it is not like i have league or coach seating, just a very very strong connection to Scottrade that gets me these.
I do agree tho that they do not announce them over the PA. just woundering why they would put them out in writting tho.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 07:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
This is all for the general public as well it is not like i have league or coach seating, just a very very strong connection to Scottrade that gets me these.
So are you saying that well before the game there is a place that you can find future assignments to NCAA games? We are not talking about at the game site several minutes before the game. We are talking about if I want to find out who is working this Saturday, that is listed somewhere. Unless you know a NCAA official, I do not know you can find this information any place.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Our school has all 3 officials assigned for every game before the beginning of the season for check-making purposes, but this info would never be released until written on box scores.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
The officiating assignments for all major sports leagues, both pro and college, are guarded. The assigned officials may tell close friends where they'll be working but that's it.

There are many obvious reasons for this but the most obvious are security and gambling (both legal and illegal).

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 09:14am.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 08:53am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Also the NCAA games I have been to live, they do not announce who the officials are at the site.
JRut, I think this is the comment that fonzy was replying to. At my D3 games, the officials are often (not always) announced along with player intros.

I think it is probably a school-by-school (or maybe conference-by-conference) decision. That's just a guess, though.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 10:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
JRut, I think this is the comment that fonzy was replying to. At my D3 games, the officials are often (not always) announced along with player intros.

I think it is probably a school-by-school (or maybe conference-by-conference) decision. That's just a guess, though.
I am going to take a guess, but I do not believe the OPer was talking about D3 basketball games and I know I was not talking about that level either. I am going to take a wild guess that the OPer was talking about D1 level and where he could get that information. I do not know many people betting on the local D3 rivalry with a Vegas Sports book.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 01:33pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I am going to take a guess, but I do not believe the OPer was talking about D3 basketball games and I know I was not talking about that level either.
I think you are probably right. I only mentioned the D3 level as an example to show that the officials are sometimes announced at NCAA games. And I think fonzy said that he has often heard the officials announced at a D1 school as well.

Not trying to pick a fight. Just giving a couple examples.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 03:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I think you are probably right. I only mentioned the D3 level as an example to show that the officials are sometimes announced at NCAA games. And I think fonzy said that he has often heard the officials announced at a D1 school as well.

Not trying to pick a fight. Just giving a couple examples.
I did not think you were trying to pick a fight. I am just saying I believe he was not talking about what happens at that level. I am sure there are exceptions about who announces in the arena, but I would put more money down that this is not something you can find on a website and two weeks from now you will know working the big Texas-Texas A&M battle as an example.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 03:53pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I would put more money down that this is not something you can find on a website
Agree 100%