The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Remembering the AP

Newbie question for ya…
I currently ref a lot of 5th grade to 8th grade ball. A constant problem that I encounter is the AP not getting set correctly by the table. The table personnel are usually junior high kids or someone’s mom that is just helping out and usually have never done it before. I know that the ultimate responsibility of knowing the status of the AP resides on the ref, but I sometimes forget, especially if there is a long period between jump calls. So, if the table has it wrong and I don’t know what it is, it can be kind of an uncomfortable situation. What I’m looking for is any ideas or “tricks of the trade” on how to keep tabs of the AP myself without having to rely on anyone else. I’ve heard of using a rubber band on the wrist. This requires having a rubber band on one wrist for team A or on the other for team B. When the AP should be switched, move it to the other hand. Or, maybe I just need to hone my memory skills more. Any other suggestions?
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 11:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Do not use a rubber band or any other device where you have to literally change from one part of your body to another. It looks stupid and makes you look like a rookie. Just like you remember anything else in the game, get in tune to the game and just remember. Start from the tip off and the first thought in your mind should be, "The arrow goes to the......team." You would have to remember this no differently if you had a rubber band. If you forget to switch the rubber band you still for get right? You just have to work harder to remember something that is apart of the game. There are no shortcuts to do this. Maybe try to remember the time on the clock and other factors of an AP situation and that might help you remember better.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

It also would be wrong to wear a rubber band on your wrist when it is prohibited for the athletes. When I officiate - I also make sure my earring is out as well. I do - however - keep my wedding band on. :-)
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Another trick is to get into the habit of seeing it change when it should. You know when it is suppost to .... monitor the table is keeping it accuratly.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

We just went thru this on a recent thread and one of the better suggestions was to say the color of the team that had the next posession when doing counts. Instead of doing one-one thousand, two- one thousand, three-one thousand, say to yourself, blue one-thousand, blue two-thousand, etc.

I have found that as I gained experience it was easier to keep in my head, but at some levels (meaning inexperienced table personnel) I still rely on switching the extra whistle in the pocket.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Do not use a rubber band or any other device where you have to literally change from one part of your body to another. It looks stupid and makes you look like a rookie. Just like you remember anything else in the game, get in tune to the game and just remember. Start from the tip off and the first thought in your mind should be, "The arrow goes to the......team." You would have to remember this no differently if you had a rubber band. If you forget to switch the rubber band you still for get right? You just have to work harder to remember something that is apart of the game. There are no shortcuts to do this. Maybe try to remember the time on the clock and other factors of an AP situation and that might help you remember better.

Peace
I thought that the rubber band trick might not look too good. The "color name during the count" seemed like a good way to help remember. Thanks!
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Counting with color

I have started using the counting with color approch and it works for me. I also verify everytime that the arrow is moved correctly.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
Another trick is to get into the habit of seeing it change when it should. You know when it is suppost to .... monitor the table is keeping it accuratly.
If you get in the habit of looking at the arrow everytime it should switch, you are gaining two valuable skills. One, keeping track of the table, which is always good, even in the top level games, and two, always knowing that the arrow is correct. For situations where there is no arrow, or no adequate arrow arrangement, use the color-count method.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I keep a small roll of Tums in my front pocket and switch it from side to side when the arrow changes. It really comes in handy during the game when I get stomach aches from listening to coaches.

BTW - I used to use a Hickory Farms beefstick, but the female coaches were always drooling, so I stopped.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I keep a small roll of Tums in my front pocket and switch it from side to side when the arrow changes. It really comes in handy during the game when I get stomach aches from listening to coaches.

BTW - I used to use a Hickory Farms beefstick, but the female coaches were always drooling, so I stopped.
Mark, as I told you on Saturday, it wasn't drool. It was revulsion at your deformity!
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Mark, as I told you on Saturday, it wasn't drool. It was revulsion at your deformity!
You're just jealous.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Do not use a rubber band or any other device where you have to literally change from one part of your body to another. It looks stupid and makes you look like a rookie.
Peace
Well I know some of my Div I men's mentors still keep a mini-fox 40 in their pocket to keep the AP. If it makes them look "stupid", then I'd like to follow the quote of Forest Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does." I think you'd be hard pressed to call these referees "rookies."
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

So switch my wedding band from hand to hand in order to keep track of the AP? That is what I have so far from this thread.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
To add to your post, I agree that if you can switch bands, whistles, memorize, etc., then you can "monitor" the table to see if they are changing the arrow once the throwin is complete. When we get the inexperienced table person, we inform them to put their hand on the switch so that we can "monitor" their awareness that it is a held ball situation. We also inform that we will hold the ball until we get their attention if they are not holding the switch. After the throwin is complete, we make sure they "throw" this switch.

Held ball followed by a time out - we remind them at the start of the T.O. that the throwin is an AP throwin and that we will hold the ball until they recognize it when we come out. It takes a few times but they get the hang of it after a few held ball situations.

Before the game, I also like to ask the scorekeeper if they know how to document the AP throwins in the book.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 03:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref
Well I know some of my Div I men's mentors still keep a mini-fox 40 in their pocket to keep the AP. If it makes them look "stupid", then I'd like to follow the quote of Forest Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does." I think you'd be hard pressed to call these referees "rookies."
Well I know many D1 officials that have advocated never to do this. One is a mentor of mine, the others were at a pretty high profile camp of I attended last year. I would say the same thing if I saw them do it. Just because you work D1 does not mean everything you do is smart or looks good. And considering I have seen some of this countries best officials in person never do this, I think it is stupid to be changing a whistle from one pocket to another all game long.

Peace