The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

This is my second year doing both slow and fast pitch softball and I would like some advice.The school association works under ASA rules while the town rec league uses USSSA.My question is how do you remember all the diffrent rules that sometimes conflict with both associations. Thanks for your responses
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
First, thoroughly learn the rules of the sanctioning body you will be using the most. Next completely study the other rules. Many of the basic rules are the same, but there are many differences indeed. It is best to make yourself a list with the differences so you can memorize them. There used to be a paper out there that compared the rule differences between ASA and NFHS, but not sure about ASA and USSSA. Dave
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Smile

I feel for you, as I was in the same boat the first two years I umpired. You didn't mention if there were 'local'
rules in the rec league. Rec always has some local rules and they always supercede any book rule.
If you have to, make small card like lists of things you need to remember for each ASA and USSSA as well as the local
rules. Type them and then laminate them. They should fit in your pocket. Pull them out secretly between innings if you have to, but for sure before and between games. You'll
be surprised how quickly you'll learn! Also, ask your partner between innings to refresh your memory and also for
tips on how to be better. My first UIC did these cards for me, and man, did they help.
I had slow pitch girls, boys, women and men, and fastpitch rec ball at 5 different parks that all had local rule nuances.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Let us know your progress :>)

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Read the rulebooks completely, over and over again. You can never read them too much. Keep your tests for the associations that you are calling for, and study them over and over, especially the questions that you missed. Get casebooks for both ASA and USSSA, and study the similar plays and the ones that are different in how they are handled. Did I mention that you can never read the rulebooks too much?

I have heard of people using the cards as Elaine suggested, and they seem to have success with that. Either way, the first couple of years of umpiring consist of a lot of reading and studying. Once you are in the habit you will find that it will help you out when you are a 5 year veteran or a 10 year veteran....etc.

Good luck!

Scott
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

The little cards are a great idea when you call for multiple associations that have "house rules" that differ.......especially between age groups......

Things like.......run ahead rules, batting roster/not batting roster.......IF/no IF.....time limits, etc..........

Trying to remember what each association has changed can be a nightmare (my group calls 7 different associations).....

Joel
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 05:03am
Official Forum Member

Cards, eh. I never thought of using cards, I like that idea. I try to scan through parts of an organization's rule book before doing a game.

LI,
Here's another way to help you learn and remember the rules. peak to whoever it is in your association who does the rules interpretation presentations. Ask if you may put a presentation together - it seems like I never learn something as well as I do when I'm preparing to teach t to another.