The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Intentional with no time left on the clock?

Had this and I think I delt with it properly. Team A is intentionally fouled with 0 seconds left in the first quatre. I administer free throws then go to the 1 min break for period change. When I come out I give the ball to team B because they had the possesion arrow. After the game my parnter said team A should have been given the ball. I cannot find anything on this. I know POI but I didn't think it carried over into another quater.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 07:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
Had this and I think I delt with it properly. Team A is intentionally fouled with 0 seconds left in the first quatre. I administer free throws then go to the 1 min break for period change. When I come out I give the ball to team B because they had the possesion arrow. After the game my parnter said team A should have been given the ball. I cannot find anything on this. I know POI but I didn't think it carried over into another quater.
This is deja vu all over again. There is another post 30 minutes before yours with the same question. The answer is that penalties do not carry over to the next period, so you were right and your partner should be a coach.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 09:15pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
I know POI but I didn't think it carried over into another quater.
Just a quick comment. The POI is not used for intentional fouls. Possession of the ball is part of the penalty for the intentional. The POI is used for double fouls (among other things), but not for intentionals. Since no part of a penalty carries over from one period to another (as others have already stated), you don't give possession to the offended team to begin a new quarter due to the intentional foul.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Part of rule 5-6-3 "No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next."