Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
What about 4-44 Art. 5 A player holding the ball:
a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any part of the body other than and or foot.
b. After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.
OP said she started a dribble, then stood up, legal.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Obviously I am new and learning so I enjoy these clarifications that everyone goes thru regardless how silly they seem to the old timers. It has always been planted in my head that if a player went down to recover a loose ball and got up without passing the ball first, it is traveling. Thus my interpretation from the rule I listed. If I understand you correctly, if the player starts their dribble before getting up there is no travel.
Thanks
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
What about 4-44 Art. 5 A player holding the ball:
a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any part of the body other than and or foot.
b. After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.
The key is "loose ball".....
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
The key is "loose ball".....
I hate to be stubborn, but I am trying to find a rule that counters what this says, loose ball or otherwise. In my feeble mind Rule 4-44 Art. 5 (b) is referring to a loose ball that is now in control by a player that is touching the floor by something other than hand or foot. Thus by rule would not be able to get up. It does not make an exception for dribbling. Please tell me where to find the counter rule to this; I do not see anything regarding this in the Cartoon rule book either. I am sure it must be somewhere because everyone on the thread seems to agree with it.
Thanks,
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 12:30pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
If I understand you correctly, if the player starts their dribble before getting up there is no travel.
Now you've got it.

If a player secures control of the ball and THEN touches the floor with anything other than a hand or foot, it is a travel.

If a player secures control of the ball WHILE touching the floor with something other than a hand or foot, he may begin a dribble (or pass, or shoot, or request time-out). Once the dribble is started, he may get up off the floor.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Aaah that makes it clearer. The before and after. Ha Now I can tell these kids the proper way to get up, instead of just calling the for traveling.
Thanks
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hate to be stubborn, but I am trying to find a rule that counters what this says, loose ball or otherwise. In my feeble mind Rule 4-44 Art. 5 (b) is referring to a loose ball that is now in control by a player that is touching the floor by something other than hand or foot. Thus by rule would not be able to get up. It does not make an exception for dribbling. Please tell me where to find the counter rule to this; I do not see anything regarding this in the Cartoon rule book either. I am sure it must be somewhere because everyone on the thread seems to agree with it.
Thanks,
Splute, did you purchase the Case Play book along with you Rule Book?
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Section 44: Traveling
Article 1

Art. 1... A player who catches the ball with both feet on the floor, may pivot, using either foot. When one foot is lifted, the other is the pivot foot.

Art. 2... A player, who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop, and establish a pivot foot as follows:
a. If both feet are off the floor and the player lands:
1. Simultaneously on both feet, either foot may be the pivot.
2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch is the pivot.
3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.
b. If one foot is on the floor:
1. It is the pivot when the other foot touches in a step.
2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.

[See corresponding Case Rule for Situation 4.44.2]

Art. 3... After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
c. The pivot foot may not be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble.

[See corresponding Case Rule for Situation 4.44.3]

Art. 4... After coming to a stop when neither foot can be a pivot:
a. One or both feet may be lifted, but may not be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
b. Neither foot may be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble.

Art. 5... A player holding the ball:
a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.

[See corresponding Case Rule for Situation 4.44.5]

Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Yes I did. I have the Rules, Case Book, Illustrated and Officiating. I see Jcarter is breaking it down for me so let me look them up.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks that is what I was looking for. When it is in black and white it makes it soooo much easier. I was not familiar with the ruling of lying on the back and not allowed to turn over either. Thanks again.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 01:27pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Is someone trying to set a record for the shortest locked thread?

I agree with the other three. Who was watching the other 9 players? I guess some people will go to some extreme lengths to get into a game free and see the game from a good vantage point!
Wouldn't that be where the coaches are?
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 01:46pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Wouldn't that be where the coaches are?
No, I guess you didn't get what I was saying. Basically, I was talking about an official on the court ball-watching. Next time I will add the
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 01:58pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Thanks that is what I was looking for. When it is in black and white it makes it soooo much easier. I was not familiar with the ruling of lying on the back and not allowed to turn over either. Thanks again.
Splute, in the back of the rule book is a page called Basketball Fundamentals...one of the statements in there is that you cannot travel while dribbling the ball. Take a look at those statements - they are pretty interesting...
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Splute, in the back of the rule book is a page called Basketball Fundamentals...one of the statements in there is that you cannot travel while dribbling the ball. Take a look at those statements - they are pretty interesting...
Correct, I have read them several times. That in itself seems obvious. In this case I was trying to get specific ruling to specific words that states what can touch the floor or it is traveling. At the time, (loose ball recovery) the player is on the floor, they are not dribbling; only in the process of getting up does it become vital. Jcarter sent me to the place in the case book I needed. You'da thought I would have figured out how to reference the books by number sooner, huh... I appreciate the patience and help. I want to do the best job I can.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
If he did or didn't kick the call, it doesn't matter, because it's an 8th grade game. That's my sarcastic point.
It sure matters to those 8th grade girls, thier parents and coaches.

I've been told (and agree with) to call every game like its the most important game being played that night...because to someone, it probably is.