The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Angry Know the rules!!!

Eighth grade girls, I'm T in a two man. Way down by the baseline, A1 goes to one knee to gather a loose ball. Right in front of my partner, she puts down her dribble and then stands up. I'm applauding her in my head. TWEET! Traveling! AAAARGH!

The coach knew the call was wrong and she just shook her head in disgust. I couldn't blame her.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

This is a tough situation for a partner. Do you go over and have a quick chat when you KNOW that your partner kicked a rule or do you let him live with his call?
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 10:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

As Scrapper1 would say, it's only 8th grade, who cares if the ref kicked the rule.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 10:25pm
PYRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
Eighth grade girls, I'm T in a two man. Way down by the baseline, A1 goes to one knee to gather a loose ball. Right in front of my partner, she puts down her dribble and then stands up. I'm applauding her in my head. TWEET! Traveling! AAAARGH!

The coach knew the call was wrong and she just shook her head in disgust. I couldn't blame her.
Had a similar feeling in an 8th grade girls game yesterday. Partner administering a spot throw in near the division line. A1 has the ball looking to throw and... you know it... TWEET!, he calls her for traveling. She never left the spot, just shuffled her feet looking for an open teammate.

I think my reaction was the same as yours
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
Had a similar feeling in an 8th grade girls game yesterday. Partner administering a spot throw in near the division line. A1 has the ball looking to throw and... you know it... TWEET!, he calls her for traveling. She never left the spot, just shuffled her feet looking for an open teammate.

I think my reaction was the same as yours
Do you get 3 feet from the center of the spot throw?
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

I like to give one stride left or right with no depth limitation. Thrower in can back up as much as they want
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 01:16am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
As Scrapper1 would say, it's only 8th grade, who cares if the ref kicked the rule.
Rather than taking another shot at someone you disagreed with in another thread, why didn't you ask the OP'er what in the world he was doing watching the ball when it was so far out of his primary? Is it possible that maybe the partner saw something that the OP'er didn't since he was right there and OP'er wasn't? Don't know, but that's what first popped into my mind...you on the other hand just automatically assume this unknown official "kicked the rule"...
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 01:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Rather than taking another shot at someone you disagreed with in another thread, why didn't you ask the OP'er what in the world he was doing watching the ball when it was so far out of his primary? Is it possible that maybe the partner saw something that the OP'er didn't since he was right there and OP'er wasn't? Don't know, but that's what first popped into my mind...you on the other hand just automatically assume this unknown official "kicked the rule"...
That is my sentiment exactly.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 02:40am
In Memoriam

Me three.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 05:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaRef
No. The designated spot is three feet wide, so that would be one and half feet from the center of the spot.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 08:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
If he did or didn't kick the call, it doesn't matter, because it's an 8th grade game. That's my sarcastic point.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 09:21am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I said. Nice editorializing. Here's a "roll eyes" for you, too.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 09:36am
Huck Finn

Is someone trying to set a record for the shortest locked thread?

I agree with the other three. Who was watching the other 9 players? I guess some people will go to some extreme lengths to get into a game free and see the game from a good vantage point!
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
We might kick a call, but we should never kick a rule regardless of the level.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow

What about 4-44 Art. 5 A player holding the ball:
a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any part of the body other than and or foot.
b. After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.