The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Traveling?

Question on traveling.... I found this article on the Net regarding the 12 most confusing basketball rules http://www.betterbasketball.com/basketball-rules/

Can an offensive player travel when he is not in control of the ball?
If an offensive player attempts to catch a pass and bobbles or fumbles the ball, that player is not in control of the ball. There cannot be a traveling call when the offensive player doesn’t have the ball under control. Basketball rules states that once an offensive player has control of the ball and establishes a pivot foot, then a traveling violation should be called when appropriate.

If this is so, then how many steps do you allow a player to take while "not in possesion" or "under control"? Obviously you wouldnt let him fumble the ball down half the court. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I like to remove all doubt from my mind on what is allowed by rule.

Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute

If this is so, then how many steps do you allow a player to take while "not in possesion" or "under control"? Obviously you wouldnt let him fumble the ball down half the court. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I like to remove all doubt from my mind on what is allowed by rule.
If the player isn't holding the ball, he can't travel.

Therefore, he makes no difference how many steps he takes while fumbling the ball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Question on traveling.... I found this article on the Net regarding the 12 most confusing basketball rules http://www.betterbasketball.com/basketball-rules/

If an offensive player attempts to catch a pass and bobbles or fumbles the ball, that player is not in control of the ball. There cannot be a traveling call when the offensive player doesn’t have the ball under control. Basketball rules states that once an offensive player has control of the ball and establishes a pivot foot, then a traveling violation should be called when appropriate.

You're confusing what looks ugly and gets a reaction with what is and isn't legal.

You cannot travel unless you have control of the ball, period. As long you judge the player does not have contol he cannot travel. it's up to you to decide when the player has control.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

What you found is true with one exception. This is because 4-44 starts off by saying, "Traveling (running with the ball) is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball."

Here is the Case Book support:

TRAVELING - OR NOT
4.44 SITUATION A: A1 attempts to catch the ball while running rapidly. A1 muffs the ball, but succeeds in securing it before it strikes the floor. A1 then begins a dribble, taking several steps between the time the ball was first touched until it was caught. RULING: There has been no violation provided A1, after catching the ball, released the ball to start the dribble before the pivot foot was lifted from the floor. (4-15)

4.44 SITUATION B: A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the rim or any other player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is this traveling? RULING: No. When A1 recovered his/her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There was no team control after the ball was released on a try. (4-12; 4-41)

and the one exception:

4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without violating? RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)

Last edited by Nevadaref; Fri Feb 09, 2007 at 03:13pm.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Nevada... I have read the rules book (need to re-read at least another 1000 times) but I am just beginning to read the case book. I didnt snap earlier (other thread) that they reference each other. duh.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There is no limit on steps.

I suspect I know what your thinking - that some creative sort will "fake mishandle" the ball and avoid having to dribble into the lane or to initiate a breakaway.

Kind of like making their way while tapping the ball around. Trust me - it will not happen. If they try it even with reasonabe success - they are in control ..... It is obvious.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, that is the way my mind thinks... ha. You make a valid point and again it is up to the official to interpret. I did have a guy yell at me that a player had traveled for this reason, but I did not make the call because he did not have control in my view. Thus I asked the question is there a step limit and many on the forum have kindly shown me the rules.