The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 04:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnzebra
I thought the game was called right on. I do not think there should have been a T on this play. A T on this play was a game interupting play and should have never been called.
Good Lord......

Are you serious? If a coach calls you a f**king idiot, would you ignore that too because calling it would be a (gasp) game interrupter?

Lah me.......

If I ever find the goober who started this "game interrupter" boolsh!t, I swear that I'll strangle the sumb!tch with my bare hands.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 04:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
We are here to talk about rules and situations surrounding the rules.
With all due respect, Jeff....

Are you and Tony out of your freaking minds???

You're trying to argue rules and situations with some troll that has already admitted that he doesn't own rule books, has never owned officials pants in his life and has obviously never been out on a basketball court with a whistle in his big yap outside of (maybe) the local YMCA. What's wrong with that picture? Tell him to screw off and then ignore him. You can't argue with somebody that doesn't know the first damn thing about basketball officiating but insists on trying to show otherwise.

Lah me, this forum is turning into Fanboy/Troll Central.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnzebra
I thought the game was called right on. I do not think there should have been a T on this play. A T on this play was a game interupting play and should have never been called.
Didn't see the game live because I was (where else?) officiating. The video sure makes it look like the T was deserved. I haven't had any court experience with three-man, so I can't make any intelligent judgment about one ref making the call vs. the others.

Moreover, I have zero collegiate experience...but I still have trouble wrapping my whistle around a "game interrupting" call. Had a P tell me the other night that a 5-sec. closely guarded call was "game interrupting" and I should let it go unless the opposing coach yells for it. I will openly admit, even though I'm a rookie, I gave him a "ya, but" and then said I would enforce the rules to the best of my newbie ability. He grinned and said that was the answer I should have given him!
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 04:58pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Good Lord......

Are you serious? If a coach calls you a f**king idiot, would you ignore that too because calling it would be a (gasp) game interrupter?

Lah me.......

If I ever find the goober who started this "game interrupter" boolsh!t, I swear that I'll strangle the sumb!tch with my bare hands.
Don't get all pumped up; the term is being taken too far. Something that is deserving of a technical foul is in no way a game interrupter.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 05:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

You're trying to argue rules and situations with some troll that has already admitted that he doesn't own rule books, has never owned officials pants in his life and has obviously never been out on a basketball court with a whistle in his big yap outside of (maybe) the local YMCA. What's wrong with that picture? Tell him to screw off and then ignore him. You can't argue with somebody that doesn't know the first damn thing about basketball officiating but insists on trying to show otherwise.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Jurassic Referee]Good Lord......

Lah me.......

I am very serious.... There is no reason to call a T on a questionable call in a game like this. If he hangs on the rim.....stick him!!!!! If it is marginal then let it go. If a coach calls me a ********* as you mentioned you better believe he gets whacked. But do not "interupt" a game for picky.......(I'll use your word...... boolsh!t.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 07:29pm
In Memoriam

[QUOTE=tnzebra]
Quote:
I am very serious.... There is no reason to call a T on a questionable call in a game like this. If he hangs on the rim.....stick him!!!!! If it is marginal then let it go. If a coach calls me a ********* as you mentioned you better believe he gets whacked. But do not "interupt" a game for picky.......(I'll use your word...... boolsh!t.
Well, you had a very experienced D1 official that didn't think it was picky boolsh!t. What is "marginal" on any call is in the eye of the beholders imo--the "beholders" usually being the calling official and someone sitting in the fourteenth row. The calling official's supervisor will let him know whether it was marginal or not. That's who counts.

And as for "game interrupters", imo that may be the stoopidest concept that some yoyo trying to immortalize himself in officiating history could possibly come up with as his own personal catchphrase contribution. Every time you blow your whistle in the game, you interrupt the flow. And now it seems like any time that someone disagrees with a call that another official made, they try to justify their disagreement with the call by tsk-tsk'ing that it's a "flow interrupter". The only thing that I've really learned from this wonderful new concept is that officiating nirvana is a game where you never had to blow your whistle.

Iow, if someone wants to disagree with an official's call, then just do so. Say "hey, imo that was a cheap "T" that he called on the player for hanging on the rim". I don't have a problem with that and never have. Well, except maybe for fanboys like fiasco who don't know or understand the rules. All that is just a difference of opinion and a difference of judgment. Please, don't try to tell me that interrupting the game has anything to do with any call though. It's just not relevant in any way imo.

Sorry for the rant, but that one hits me like the "stopsign" hits Tomegun.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm not arguing with the idiot. I have him on Ignore.

Thompson grab the rim. As he released it and came down, his hand hit the rim again. He did not "slap" it, nor was that what the T was for.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef

Thompson grab the rim. As he released it and came down, his hand hit the rim again. He did not "slap" it,

Yeah, and Reggie Greenwood didn't give a T. He had his hand up and it just happened to come down on his other hand in the shape of a T.

Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 10:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN
Yeah, and Reggie Greenwood didn't give a T. He had his hand up and it just happened to come down on his other hand in the shape of a T.
What does whether the ring was slapped or touched have to do with the actual call? Greenwood called the "T" on the player for hanging on or grasping the ring. The NC player that got the "T" never had control of the ball, so there's no way you can say that he was trying to dunk it.

The player simply hung on the ring.He got a "T" because Greenwood didn't think that he did so to avoid an injury. It's just a judgment call by a good official imo. Whether the ring was slapped or touched after the player grabbed the ring has got nothing to do with nothing.