The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Question on a situation

Team A shoots the ball in the wrong basket and is fouled by team B (who doesnt realize team A is shooting at the wrong end)...The shot goes in...I know the points count, but what happens with the foul? Do you report the foul and put the ball in at the Point of Interuption? Or does the player who was fouled go to the correct end for 1 free throw? I saw this situation a few nights ago and was wondering if someone could shed some light on it! LoL
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 02:01am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttnref
Team A shoots the ball in the wrong basket and is fouled by team B (who doesnt realize team A is shooting at the wrong end)...The shot goes in...I know the points count, but what happens with the foul? Do you report the foul and put the ball in at the Point of Interuption? Or does the player who was fouled go to the correct end for 1 free throw? I saw this situation a few nights ago and was wondering if someone could shed some light on it! LoL

Actually if the foul is before the ball goes in the basket the points do not count. This is not a try, ball is dead on the foul. If A is in the bonus, shoot on the proper end. If not, A ball out of bounds.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
JAR is correct. The key to this question is the definition of a try, and when a ball is dead on a foul. To qualify as a try, the attempt must be made at the correct basket, and on a foul, the ball becomes dead immediately excpet in the case of a try or tap.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 05:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttnref
But guys, he KNOWS that the points count! Who are we to tell him differently?

4.41.2 SITUATION: A1 becomes confused and throws the ball at the wrong basket. A1 is fouled by B1 and the ball goes into the basket. Is this a successful basket? If A1 missed, would A1 be awarded two free throws for the foul by B1? RULING: No goal. The ball became dead when the foul occurred. When a player throws at the opponent's basket, it is not a try. If the team is in the bonus when B1 fouled A1, A1 is given either a one-and-one attempt or two free throws at Team A's basket. If Team A was not in the bonus, then the ball is awarded to Team A for a throw-in at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul. (7-5-5)

Seriously, welcome to the forum EastTN. Sorry for the immediate teasing, but I have just grown a bit tired of new people coming on here and making rules statements as if they were facts, when they are actually completely wrong.

I hope that you have learned something already.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 08:22am.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 08:20am
Lighten up, Francis.

This is about 10 of these situations that people have seen over the last month or so. It's a freakin' epidemic of people who don't know which basket they're shooting at! Bizarre.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

I watched a GV game here recently in which a player from a team that is 23-4 overall and 12-1 in league play got confused and shot the ball into the opponent's basket during the first quarter!

Of course, the officials were sort of responsible for the screw up because they had administered the throw-in to the wrong team! Doh!

PS tomegun, it was someone you know!!!
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
This is about 10 of these situations that people have seen over the last month or so. It's a freakin' epidemic of people who don't know which basket they're shooting at! Bizarre.
Have you heard the story about the three players who were mad at the coach so they decided to dunk before the game .... but dunked in the wrong basket?
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 09:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Have you heard the story about the three players who were mad at the coach so they decided to dunk before the game .... but dunked in the wrong basket?
How about the one about the shooter that caught his own rebound?
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
How about the one about the shooter that caught his own rebound?
That was Jon Diebler, right?
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 10:40am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
That was Jon Diebler, right?
Nope, Jay Davis.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Long live Diebler!!!
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 12:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEohioref
Long live Diebler!!!
That's the exact inscription that was engraved on the statue that was recently erected in Sandusky, Ohio in King Jon's memory. You can see it just under the horse's tail.

It's true, it's true........
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, I was looking under the tail and didn't see any engraving...

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
But guys, he KNOWS that the points count! Who are we to tell him differently?

4.41.2 SITUATION: A1 becomes confused and throws the ball at the wrong basket. A1 is fouled by B1 and the ball goes into the basket. Is this a successful basket? If A1 missed, would A1 be awarded two free throws for the foul by B1? RULING: No goal. The ball became dead when the foul occurred. When a player throws at the opponent's basket, it is not a try. If the team is in the bonus when B1 fouled A1, A1 is given either a one-and-one attempt or two free throws at Team A's basket. If Team A was not in the bonus, then the ball is awarded to Team A for a throw-in at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul. (7-5-5)

Seriously, welcome to the forum EastTN. Sorry for the immediate teasing, but I have just grown a bit tired of new people coming on here and making rules statements as if they were facts, when they are actually completely wrong.

I hope that you have learned something already.

Thanks for the welcome! and yes...i have learned something already!