Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
It can be. . .but I've had a couple of issues with mapquest. Sometimes it will forego the quickest route to give you a route based on major highways. A couple of times, it's been dead wrong. Once I was going to a movie with my wife and I used mapquest to locate the theater (in the Denver area). I followed the directions exactly, and it put me in a little residential neighborhood in a cul-de-sac nowhere near the theater. I was ready to knock on somebody's door and ask if Highlander: Endgame was playing in their basement.
I've had problems with Mapquest, too. One time it sent me through a residential street that diddn't go clear through! When I finally got to that school, I also discovered that had that residential street gone through, I would have been routed through a back entrance to the school grounds which is generally locked.

Another time, Mapquest had the spelling of a school wrong, and couldn't find it for me. I always use Google Maps, and don't bother with printed directions. Just print out the map, and use my well-developed old-lady intuition and reasoning.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 08:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ciac

In Connecticut, our high school sports governing body, the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Association (CIAC) has directions to its member schools on their web site.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I always use Google Maps, and don't bother with printed directions. Just print out the map, and use my well-developed old-lady intuition and reasoning.
So do you print the directions or don't ya?
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 03:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
And failing that, I get myself close and then stop at a gas station or fast food joint and ask them how to get to the middle school.
ASK FOR DIRECTIONS??!!??

I bet you don't use duct tape, either.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

For my team, we bought a USB GPS chip and installed it to my laptop used for team stats to get to our various locations. And it's used with a map software built in, but also could be used with the Google Earth software. I'll reply later with what it's called exactly
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Slightly off topic but.....one of the schools I work every year is located near a "gentleman's club". Last season I was at a stoplight near the building on my way home after a V game. 2 young ladies in a car next to me signaled to unroll my window. I did and they asked for directions to the aforementioned club so they could go audition. I, as luck would have it, knew how to get there from the school and gave them directions so they could audition. One of these days I need to go see if they got hired.

I sometimes use Mapquest on Yahoo! but the time is always way off.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aepitaz Send a message via Yahoo to aepitaz
Thumbs up Highly Recommend TomTom

I have had a TomTom Go 300 for about 3 years. I bought it to find the various schools, etc. I just replaced it with a TomTom One.

First and foremost, the mapping sites are great so long as traffic and construction are never a problem. The first time you run into a problem and have to detour from your planned route, you love having the device in the car.

Second, it is really nice to be able to have a constantly updated time of arrival. If you are ever running late and need to call a partner, it is great.

Third, if you get to a site early and want to get something to eat or a cup of coffee, finding something close by is easy.

I have heard OK things about Garmin products, but the TomTom is easy to use, has a great touch screen display, and has worked perfectly for finding all of the schools and fields that I officiate at.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 04:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
One time it sent me through a residential street that diddn't go clear through! When I finally got to that school, I also discovered that had that residential street gone through, I would have been routed through a back entrance to the school grounds which is generally locked.

Another time, Mapquest had the spelling of a school wrong, and couldn't find it for me.
Juulie, let me guess. Since you were unfamiliar with the terrain, you were over here on the west side.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 06:23pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Slightly off topic but.....one of the schools I work every year is located near a "gentleman's club". Last season I was at a stoplight near the building on my way home after a V game. 2 young ladies in a car next to me signaled to unroll my window. I did and they asked for directions to the aforementioned club so they could go audition. I, as luck would have it, knew how to get there from the school and gave them directions so they could audition. One of these days I need to go see if they got hired.

I sometimes use Mapquest on Yahoo! but the time is always way off.
You did not offer them a ride? You cad!