The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 06:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

I'll bet I'm the only one on this board who has officiated croquet. And no...I'm not kidding.

Before you ask - I did not wear fishnets, but I did wear a straw "boater" hat. It didn't fit too well, however. You see, it has a flat top and my head is pointed.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I'll bet I'm the only one on this board who has officiated croquet. And no...I'm not kidding.

Before you ask - I did not wear fishnets, but I did wear a straw "boater" hat. It didn't fit too well, however. You see, it has a flat top and my head is pointed.

You've gotta be kidding. Where, how, and why did you officiate croquet? They didn't mention that in the newspaper article!
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 07:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev

You've gotta be kidding. Where, how, and why did you officiate croquet? They didn't mention that in the newspaper article!
There's a town right next to mine that is a Senior community (I'll be moving there shortly ). One of the retirement homes challenged their local Lions Club to a match, with the money raised going to the Lions Club camp for blind kids. I was contacted to "officiate" and also to be a "roving announcer" with a portable megaphone. Some local dignitaries were invited to participate including our State Representative at the time, Max Williams (now head of the prison system in Oregon). Max is a personal friend of mine so I made sure I gave him a really bad time. In fact, he almost lost to a lady with a walker!

Everyone wore summer white clothes and had cucumber sandwiches and lemonaide (I am not kidding). They raised about $2000 for the charity by charging admission and selling food and drink. It was really a blast and I wish they would have it every summer.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

I love softball also!

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

I do hoops and football, and after being gone 3-5 nights a week since August, I'm ready for a break!

Next year, I'm going a little lighter on both schedules.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I also do softball. Guys have been bugging me to do football but I don't really want a 3rd sport.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Everyone wore summer white clothes and had cucumber sandwiches and lemonaide (I am not kidding). They raised about $2000 for the charity by charging admission and selling food and drink. It was really a blast and I wish they would have it every summer.

People paid money for a cucumber sandwich? GAG!
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 05:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
There's a town right next to mine that is a Senior community (I'll be moving there shortly ). One of the retirement homes challenged their local Lions Club to a match, with the money raised going to the Lions Club camp for blind kids. I was contacted to "officiate" and also to be a "roving announcer" with a portable megaphone. Some local dignitaries were invited to participate including our State Representative at the time, Max Williams (now head of the prison system in Oregon). Max is a personal friend of mine so I made sure I gave him a really bad time. In fact, he almost lost to a lady with a walker!

The only part of your story that I found amazing, Mark, was that you needed a portable megaphone. I can just see ya sneaking up behind the l'il ol' lady with the walker(Juulie?) and bellowing "That's a foul, that's a foul..". Yup, see if her pacemaker is working the way it should.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 01:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev

People paid money for a cucumber sandwich? GAG!
Without crusts, yet! Not only that, they took a "tea and biscuits" break. It was all very "British", don't ya' know. BTW - "biscuits" is British for "cookies".
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 01:30pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
I also work HS volleyball in the fall. On top of the regular HS basketball season I also do spring and summer league HS games, but only a couple a week - typically runs from first of April to end of June. Might be a hair later for me this year though...just found out Wed. I need to have surgery on my shoulder - sched. for late March & it might set me back a week or two......my wife says its from calling too many fouls..
Maybe you need to learn to use the other arm for calling fouls for awhile.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 04:22am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I also do football at the NCAA level. I find football more enjoyable because it is outside. About 3 years ago, I was approached after a football game to do local baseball; I declined to have a life outside of officiating. I also tried lacrosse for one season; I liked it, but there is little to no local training.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Three seasons

I've been officiating Football, Basketball and Lacrosse for four years. I took football off this past fall and don't know if I'll go back. I forgot how nice it was to have evenings off. Plus, I've gotten a tad bored with it.

Our Lacrosse season is just about to gear up. Training for rookies starts this week and veterens will be meeting next Sunday. Lax is a blast to officiate. It's an attacking game that seems to combine basketball and hockey. In fact we've found that basketball officials make the best transition to lacrosse.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

I am a one sport official. Basketball. I don't even know a rule for another sport...But I have been seen on a soccer field refereeing my son's soccer game a time or 10. I went through the AYSO referee classes, it took all of 5 hours and we were done....no field experience required. But I don't do it by choice.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 09:18am
Do not give a damn!!

I work Football, Basketball and Baseball. The only season I like the least overall is baseball because it is usually much colder in the spring and the working games tend to be much more unpredictable. Football is the easiest sport to work mainly because of schedule. I only work games on the weekends and on Saturday nights I am usually home watching college football.

One of the biggest myths around about working multiple sports is the fact that people think you are always away from the house. I guess if sitting home and watching American Idol every night is your thing that might be too much. But I like being out of the house and having something outside of my professional life to be concerned with.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I also do baseball and football. Basketball I do because I love it, the other two are for extra cash and socializing
Ditto! I love basketball. I do Football tackle only. and this year HS softball.