The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Officiating other sports (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31429-officiating-other-sports.html)

bellnier Fri Feb 02, 2007 02:00pm

Officiating other sports

Basketball season is winding down...of the many HS BB officials I've gotten to know and have seen here in our Section, only a few ref other sports. I've bumped into a few doing baseball games, a couple have been caught umping softball, and even fewer (like 1 or none) officiating volleyball, soccer or rugby. Is this representative of most of you? If true, is this because most of you have an actual life?

Junker Fri Feb 02, 2007 02:05pm

I also do baseball and football. Basketball I do because I love it, the other two are for extra cash and socializing.

PYRef Fri Feb 02, 2007 02:06pm

I also do soccer. That was my main sport in HS.

mrmotivation Fri Feb 02, 2007 02:11pm

I ref other sports because I enjoy getting yelled at ALL YEAR instead of just a few months.

Mr. Motivation

ranjo Fri Feb 02, 2007 02:16pm

I do a little softball, but in my area of the country, I can find basketball in some form 11 out of 12 months a year.

tjones1 Fri Feb 02, 2007 02:22pm

I do baseball. Illini_Ref will tell you that I'll soon be doing football...and he's right, just don't how soon.

Junker Fri Feb 02, 2007 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
I do baseball. Illini_Ref will tell you that I'll soon be doing football...and he's right, just don't how soon.

I got talked into football last season. You'll like it. Its fun and easy money. Besides that, wearing knickers is cool!

Raymond Fri Feb 02, 2007 02:26pm

I only ref basketball for 2 reasons:

1) I would get bored and lose focus ref'n softball, baseball, or football. Too much standing around and dead time. (if I were to ref another sport it would hockey because the officials are constantly on the move in that sport)

2) Basektball takes enough time away from my kids from November through February. I don't want spend that much time away from my kids the rest of the year. AAU, Rec Leagues, and camps keep me sufficiently occupied during the off-season.

bellnier Fri Feb 02, 2007 02:41pm

Some of you brave souls should give rugby a try...the pay is good (although the weather usually isn't) and the sport itself very strongly abides by the advantage-disadvantage philosophy.

tjones1 Fri Feb 02, 2007 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellnier
Some of you brave souls should give rugby a try...the pay is good (although the weather usually isn't) and the sport itself very strongly abides by the advantage-disadvantage philosophy.

Don't have rugby in my area. Officials they are hurting for around here are wrestling.

bellnier Fri Feb 02, 2007 02:54pm

tjones...too bad about no rugby...I got to be field judge for Women's 19U NIT this year and had a blast; rugby's pretty much a continuous sport (two 40 minute halves...stoppages are mostly for the occassional injury) and is rarely boring. For some reason, wrestling just doesn't do it for me; possibly because I sucked at it in HS.

Jurassic Referee Fri Feb 02, 2007 02:58pm

I've done football slightly longer than basketball. Fun game to do. I dicked around a little with volleyball and baseball way back too. That was too much.

psujaye Fri Feb 02, 2007 02:59pm

I work football also. I did girls lacrosse for 2 years and then decided to take the spring time off.

TimTaylor Fri Feb 02, 2007 04:17pm

I also work HS volleyball in the fall. On top of the regular HS basketball season I also do spring and summer league HS games, but only a couple a week - typically runs from first of April to end of June. Might be a hair later for me this year though...just found out Wed. I need to have surgery on my shoulder - sched. for late March & it might set me back a week or two......my wife says its from calling too many fouls..:D :D

refnrev Fri Feb 02, 2007 06:18pm

I do soccer, basketball, and volleyball. Most officials, but not all, that I know work more than one sport... except maybe a lot of ladies who do volleyball exclusively.