The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen:

I am getting ready to start my first year of teaching at a high school. One of my classes (which miraculously, was already in place) is a Sports Officiating class. I would like to look at as many sports as possible in order to expose my students to a wide variety of opportunities. If you could, please contact me about ANY TRAINING MATERIALS WHATSOEVER that you might have which you would be willing to share with me. This includes electronic documents, paper documents (which I would gladly pay for you to have sent to me), and anything else that you might be willing to share. Thank you so much for your help in this matter. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience at [email protected]. I would be glad to supply you with other mailing information as needed.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Your school coaches/AD's should have copies of last year rules books/manuals from NFHS. These should be sufficient enough for school materials/planning. Check with your coaches, this should get you started in the right direction. Of course, summarize your class with the sport that is being played. Good luck
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 12:27pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Don't forget nfhs.org fo ryour HS interps, they may have power point slides you can use...
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by irefky
Check with your coaches, this should get you started in the right direction.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Good one. (giggle...snort....chuckle) Really...good one.

Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by irefky
Your school coaches/AD's should have copies of last year rules books/manuals from NFHS. These should be sufficient enough for school materials/planning.
Garth, I have to disagree. The above advice was an even bigger laugh. I do three sports and the NFHS materials are the most worthless pieces of trash known to officialdom.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sleebo
Gentlemen:

I am getting ready to start my first year of teaching at a high school. One of my classes (which miraculously, was already in place) is a Sports Officiating class. I would like to look at as many sports as possible in order to expose my students to a wide variety of opportunities. If you could, please contact me about ANY TRAINING MATERIALS WHATSOEVER that you might have which you would be willing to share with me. This includes electronic documents, paper documents (which I would gladly pay for you to have sent to me), and anything else that you might be willing to share. Thank you so much for your help in this matter. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience at [email protected]. I would be glad to supply you with other mailing information as needed.
Can you give us a little more specifics on WHAT you're planning on teaching your students about baseball? Exactly how in-depth is your training going to be?
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 04:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
He also put this up in the football side of the house so it is just as he said, sports officiating. Pretty broad subject if you ask me. Baseball alone could take weeks.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

In terms of baseball, I am going to teach the basics of the two umpire system in terms of placement and positioning, rotations, etc. There will most likely be some rules study as well, but in the interest of time, I will most likely not be able to get too in-depth. I was just hoping to get anything that might help me teach my students about umpiring. I am going to try to get a couple of the DVD's that are put out by officiating.com and/or Referee magazine, but I could use any training documents that folks have gotten at clinics or even back issues of Referee magazine, CCA manuals, etc. I have only been umpiring for 2 high school seasons, so I figured that others would have more materials accumulated than me.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
He also put this up in the football side of the house so it is just as he said, sports officiating. Pretty broad subject if you ask me. Baseball alone could take weeks.
It's a HS class. If it's like other HS classes he will have all year. If the class is to get anything out of it useful, it would need to cover what sport is being played or coming up next. Football in August, Wrestling in October, Basketball in November, Baseball in January, etc.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

DG is exactly right. The class will last all year long and will meet for 50 minutes each day. As I stated earlier, if you or someone in your local/college associations have ANYTHING which might help, please feel free to contact me. These kids are getting in on this avocation at a great time in their lives. I want to expose them to as much as possible. Even college memos or something like that would be really neat to show them. Thank you.
Old Sun Aug 07, 2005, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Materials

Sleebo, as far as a location to get some basseball materials, go to

http://www.umpnews.com

Down the right side of the page are liks to all of the different levels/leagues of baseball. If I remember, there are several NCAA video presentations on particular topics that they wanted to cover throughout the season. You can download these, as well as rules for LL, NFHS, ...

Hope that this helps.

Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Thank you so much for the link to umpnews.com! There is so much great stuff there! I really appreciate it
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA website

Take a look at http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/cham...ng/index.html.

This is NCAA baseball - a ton of downloadable stuff here, but be aware of HS/NCAA/etc rules diffs. I suspect elsewhere at http://www.ncaa.org you can find their links to their other sports.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure if my previous hot link works - you may have to type it in without ending "periods."
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BBUMP99
I too am teaching a HS umpiring class. I, unaware of this thread, posted another thread about the same basic topic. If anyone has any tips or ideas for my class, please post them here or e-mail them to [email protected]