The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

I Need Help !

Can someone tell me the postitions of basketball coaches (like had coach, assistant coach...)
Which are the others positions, i know just theese two.
Please help me. Thanks.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

David,
The exact titles of the bench personnel are up to the individual teams/schools. Every team has a head coach. (In the NCAA teams are actually allowed to have co-Head coaches.) After that the team can pretty much call anyone else whatever they wish. Team manager, team trainer, assistant coach, stat man, etc.

At the NCAA level, many schools have specific funds marked for paying specific coaching positions. Sometimes this money comes from the alumni and the person who is hired for the position must meet certain criteria. (I know of one assistant coach who could not be hired for the Yale coaching staff because he was not from a certain state and therefore the money could not be used to pay him.) One of those positions is often a graduate assistant. This is a person who is in graduate school at the institution and is an assistant coach with the basketball team. They aren't paid nearly as much as the main assistant coaches.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 08:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Assistant Coach Salary

Many "assistant" coaches on the college or university level have much of their salary come from camp fees.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Michael
Can someone tell me the postitions of basketball coaches (like had coach, assistant coach...)
Which are the others positions, i know just theese two.
Please help me. Thanks.
Currently in the NCAA, each staff is allocated 4 full-time coaching positions. Normally that's one head coach and three assistants. I believe there's only one official graduate assistant position, but there may be two. These individuals all have certain responsibilities and their contact with players and recruits is outlined in the rules.

Most staffs have many, many more individuals involved in teh program, though. A common position is Director of Basketball Operations. This person generally helps with some administrative stuff like scheduling teams, travel, camps, etc., and may or may not be involved directly with the team in practice and games. Many schools have "interns" who are undergrad or graduate students that help. Some schools have specific strength coaches for basketball, others have general strength coaches for all sports.

Lots of these "extra" people may help with practice and the like, but there are restrictions on how much and what type of contact they can have with players. There's a lot of gray area, though, and I know many schools push the limits.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 09:42pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
HS asst coaches around here get paid $1 for the season. So they can be covered by insurance.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 01:46am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Currently in the NCAA, each staff is allocated 4 full-time coaching positions. Normally that's one head coach and three assistants. I believe there's only one official graduate assistant position, but there may be two. These individuals all have certain responsibilities and their contact with players and recruits is outlined in the rules.

Most staffs have many, many more individuals involved in teh program, though. A common position is Director of Basketball Operations. This person generally helps with some administrative stuff like scheduling teams, travel, camps, etc., and may or may not be involved directly with the team in practice and games. Many schools have "interns" who are undergrad or graduate students that help. Some schools have specific strength coaches for basketball, others have general strength coaches for all sports.

Lots of these "extra" people may help with practice and the like, but there are restrictions on how much and what type of contact they can have with players. There's a lot of gray area, though, and I know many schools push the limits.
Ah yes. 4 to 5 coaching positions for 12 players. That seems necessary.

Rant off.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Ah yes. 4 to 5 coaching positions for 12 players. That seems necessary.

Rant off.
Well, since there are 4 coaching positions, generally 14-15 players including walkons on the team, and a whole lot more to do at the college level than simply coach the game, I see why it's like it is.

For many schools, one or two of those three assistants are almost full-time recruiters...
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 02:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
David,
The exact titles of the bench personnel are up to the individual teams/schools. Every team has a head coach. (In the NCAA teams are actually allowed to have co-Head coaches.)
Some of you may have heard of the Oregon City girls program - consistently one of the top rated teams in the nation. When their head coach left to take a college job, they gave the head coach position to his long-time assistant. A few years later, the first guy came back and the school designated them as "co-head coaches". Before each game, the officials had to ask them which one was going to be the head coach and which one the assistant for that game. I think they rotated during the season. Juulie might know more about this.