The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Type of coach

LEEDS, Maine (AP) - A high school basketball coach was fired after telling his players at halftime to reach into their pants to "check their manhood," administrators said.

Leavitt Area High School Principal Patrick Hartnett said coach Mike Remillard told the varsity boys Jan. 23 that "tonight's game was about who had the biggest (male genitalia) in town."
"He then required his players to all stand up and put their hands down their pants and check their manhood," Hartnett said in the statement, which was read to school board members Thursday by Superintendent Thomas J. Hanson a day after the coach was dismissed.

All but one player followed the coach's instructions, Hartnett said. The team won the game.

Remillard, who was in his fourth season as varsity coach, called the pep talk "normal locker room banter from Fort Kent, Maine, to San Diego, California," but said he still should not have done it.

"Was that tactic appropriate? No. And I'm paying the price for it," Remillard said.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

they won so whats the big deal -- coach just proved that his team's manhood was bigger than his opponents
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:49pm
M.A.S.H.

Hmmm, interesting...

I'm guessing the one player who didn't do it is the one who turned him in, and probably had something against him to begin with... maybe not, who knows.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Hmmm, interesting...

I'm guessing the one player who didn't do it is the one who turned him in, and probably had something against him to begin with... maybe not, who knows.
Are you defending the coach's actions and condemning the kid's if it happened as you say? Just wondering.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmanwalking
Are you defending the coach's actions and condemning the kid's if it happened as you say? Just wondering.
I think what TJones is saying is the tactic use by the coach was motivational and one kid took exception to it
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 06:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I thought the officials are supposed to check the balls.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 07:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
That's it! I quit!
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 08:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Aaaaaarrrrgh !
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:18pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmanwalking
I'm just saying that usually there's something that happened in the past to get to this point, whatever that may be...in other words some previous friction between the coach and player who took exception to it. I did say usually, may not be the case here. I know when I played, if this happened, we would have just laughed and got pumped about it and carried on with our lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
I think what TJones is saying is the tactic use by the coach was motivational and one kid took exception to it
You got it.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Watch it ... rainmaker might get all bent out of shape if anybody finds your off color comment to be funny.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

OK. No more shaking hands with the team captains.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 05:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Ref
OK. No more shaking hands with the team captains.
Use those little plastic disposable gloves.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 05:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis
Watch it ... rainmaker might get all bent out of shape if anybody finds your off color comment to be funny.
Anybody = a man of the male persuasion.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Question ??????

My question is, what would the coach have said if he was coaching the girls' team?????
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
LEEDS, Maine (AP) - A high school basketball coach was fired after telling his players at halftime to reach into their pants to "check their manhood," administrators said.

Leavitt Area High School Principal Patrick Hartnett said coach Mike Remillard told the varsity boys Jan. 23 that "tonight's game was about who had the biggest (male genitalia) in town."
"He then required his players to all stand up and put their hands down their pants and check their manhood," Hartnett said in the statement, which was read to school board members Thursday by Superintendent Thomas J. Hanson a day after the coach was dismissed.

All but one player followed the coach's instructions, Hartnett said. The team won the game.

Remillard, who was in his fourth season as varsity coach, called the pep talk "normal locker room banter from Fort Kent, Maine, to San Diego, California," but said he still should not have done it.

"Was that tactic appropriate? No. And I'm paying the price for it," Remillard said.
Sounds like fear of litigation (from the 'one kid') won out over strong character - anybody who takes such a reprimand with an attitude like that has something positive inside that should probably have been recognized as grounds for a second chance. I'm not saying that I admire the coach for encouraging players to physically "check the contents of their pants" but it does sound like the coach would have responded quite well to a reprimand that allowed him to stay - and that is a quality that should be appreciated.