The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

I know this has been brought up before, but I have to know so I can get the long lasting apparel. What company carries the most durable shirts. I would prefer micro-mesh.

Secondly does anybody know what fabric ncaa officials use and NBA officials use. I was just wondering. Thanks for all the future replies.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure what's longest-lasting, but I wear Honig's micromesh and have never had a problem.

No clue on NBA, but NCAA officials are all across the board - even if individual conferences mandate a certain type of shirt, there are so many different conferences that it's almost impossible to find any two refs who match.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 09:34pm
M.A.S.H.

I've only bought Honig's clothing (basketball & baseball). No problems at all!
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Well my 6 yo son wears an old poly striped shirt with a byron coller and a zipper as a night shirt (he calls it his basketball shirt, good boy that one). The shirt belonged to his grandfather who used it from way back in the 80s. If I could read the label, I'd tell you what brand it was!
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
The shirt belonged to his grandfather who used it from way back in the 80s.
Way back in the 80s?!?! I'm still using a jacket from way back in the 80s!

Damn kids and their "old" comments. Someday, when I get old, I'll sure show them.

Oh, yea, the topic - I've always had good luck with Honig's, both in durability of products and service. I guess I've never tried any other place due to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule. And this has been since at least the 80s.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Way back in the 80s?!?! I'm still using a jacket from way back in the 80s!

Members Only?
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

Members Only?
Damn, I am old - I knew what you meant.

Actually, I meant a jacket from one of our local associations that I wear before some HS games. Pre-game jackets are the only items of clothing that get more wear and tear from packing and unpacking than they do from actual wear. But, hmmm... what about a Members Only pre-game jacket?...

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

I use all CK for both basketball and baseball (although I do have one Honig's Baseball). I've never had a problem w/ them, but it's all poly. CK's micromesh is crap and would not recommend getting it. For those who wear the micromesh...how close does it look to the poly?
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

I have had a couple of CK poly-cotton shirts for about three years now. I really like them. The fabric has held up well, and purple gatorade stains have washed right out. I have not noticed any discoloration. However the lanyard loop on the one I wear most often is starting to wear through.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have had a couple of CK poly-cotton shirts for about three years now. I really like them. The fabric has held up well, and purple gatorade stains have washed right out. I have not noticed any discoloration. However the lanyard loop on the one I wear most often is starting to wear through.
When I used the Smitty I noticed the same thing. Actually had a couple games where the lanyard came straight off of the loop. Since then, I have gone to the noose lanyard, which I like a lot more plus I think it looks more professional, IMO.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
Since then, I have gone to the noose lanyard, which I like a lot more plus I think it looks more professional, IMO.

Only if your profession is guide dog.

Z
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
Quote:
When I used the Smitty I noticed the same thing. Actually had a couple games where the lanyard came straight off of the loop. Since then, I have gone to the noose lanyard, which I like a lot more plus I think it looks more professional, IMO.
Yep, have had the smitty fall off a couple of times as well. I noticed that there is a small gap in the hook on the smitty. I bent it a bit to remove the gap and haven't had any more problems with it falling off. The next big problem will be when the loop finally breaks.

I don't like the noose nearly as well, though.