The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

back court violation?

had this happen fri night, i believe i called it correctly, just wanted affirmation...ball is in A's....A1 in the frontcourt passes to A2 who is moving from the backcourt into the frontcourt. A2 puts one foot down in the frontcourt and catches the ball with his back foot in the air - last position of back foot was ON the center line. i believe this falls under the concept of "position on court" - one toe on the center line establishes back court position for that player, meaning he was still in the back court when he caught the pass - i called a back court violation...didn't get an argument, but this is not one i have seen all that often, they are usually much more cut & dry than this....thoughts?
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

sorry should read "ball is in A's frontcourt"
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
had this happen fri night, i believe i called it correctly, just wanted affirmation...ball is in A's....A1 in the frontcourt passes to A2 who is moving from the backcourt into the frontcourt. A2 puts one foot down in the frontcourt and catches the ball with his back foot in the air - last position of back foot was ON the center line. i believe this falls under the concept of "position on court" - one toe on the center line establishes back court position for that player, meaning he was still in the back court when he caught the pass - i called a back court violation...didn't get an argument, but this is not one i have seen all that often, they are usually much more cut & dry than this....thoughts?
A swing and a miss!

Bad news - One foot in the air and one foot on the court equals a player location of the foot on the court.

Good News - If that is the worst thing that happened, it sounds like a good game.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

he doesn't need both feet in the front court in that situation? so a player coming from out of bounds, same situation, as long as he gets one foot down in bounds before catching a pass, he is inbounds? like i said i didn't get a peep from anybody...
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
he doesn't need both feet in the front court in that situation? so a player coming from out of bounds, same situation, as long as he gets one foot down in bounds before catching a pass, he is inbounds? like i said i didn't get a peep from anybody...
Correct, same as a player coming from OOB. As long as a foot is down in bounds (or in the frontcourt in the OP), and the other foot isn't touching OOB (or backcourt) then the player has established himself in bounds.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

glad i asked the question! do you know if this is specifically addressed anywhere? i couldn't find it....
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
glad i asked the question! do you know if this is specifically addressed anywhere? i couldn't find it....
NFHS 4-35-1

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Just asking to make sure everyone understands.
  1. When coming from the BC to the FC, is on the line considered in the FC, so no violation?
  2. What about in the FC and touch the line, are you considered now to be in the BC, and thus a violation?
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

thanks bbr...i think what they are saying is that since the foot was no longer ON the line, rather in the air, and one foot was established in the fc, there is no violation..in response to your question MJT, on the line is bc no matter where you are coming from/going to whether it is a toe or a whole foot...in my situation while the last position on the floor for the back foot was on the line, that foot was in the air when the pass was received and thus no violation...
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Just asking to make sure everyone understands.
  1. When coming from the BC to the FC, is on the line considered in the FC, so no violation?
  2. What about in the FC and touch the line, are you considered now to be in the BC, and thus a violation?

You're missing it here. On the line is considered BC. The OP should have been a no-call because the play was legal, because A2 had a foot completely in frontcourt and nothing in the backcourt when he caught the ball. His foot had been on the division line, but he lifted it before he caught the ball.

The answer to your second question is yes.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
You're missing it here. On the line is considered BC.
I wasn't missing it, I knew that. I asked those two questions so others would answer to clarify to all, which it now is.