The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 30, 2001, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Working some rec ball this past weekend, and during the course of a tight game, my partner eyed me as we ran down the floor, and gave me a wring-the-water-out-of-a-wet-rag signal. Kind of like a twisting motion. I didn't know what he meant at the time, and when I quizzed him about it, he said he was trying to tell me we need to "tighten up" our game.

My question is this: do any of you use similar such signals for one reason or another, either during a throw / live ball? I also use the finger in the air for last second shot, but I'm curious if there are others?
Old Tue Oct 30, 2001, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
The only signals I will use during live ball would be to point at my left wrist to indicate we are under a minute. I may twirle my finger above my head looking at the timer to indicate he didn't start the clock. The other would be in three man mechanics to point at my chest with both hands to indicate we are under 30 seconds and we have locked the rotation. I am center and have the last second shot.

I never do anything to indicate we are tightening or loosening the calls.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2001, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

The only signals I use are a hand patting on my chest to indicate that we are under a minute and I have the clock. I only do this for NFHS games. In pre-game we discuss who has the clock when and this is simply a confirmation of that on the floor. For college, my supervisors have told me that everyone should know how much time is left and who has the clock without having to give a signal to anyone. Having been told about it once was all it took if you know what I mean. As for tightening/loosening up calls, that is usually a verbal communication during a time out, intermission, halftime, etc. Some of the veterans I ref NFHS with use the patting of the head (i.e. shot clock violation signal) to indicate who has the clock. That drives me crazy!!! I seen others point at the clock as well. We have followed the points of emphasis this year to only use approved federation mechanics.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2001, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Working some rec ball this past weekend, and during the course of a tight game, my partner eyed me as we ran down the floor, and gave me a wring-the-water-out-of-a-wet-rag signal. Kind of like a twisting motion. I didn't know what he meant at the time, and when I quizzed him about it, he said he was trying to tell me we need to "tighten up" our game.

My question is this: do any of you use similar such signals for one reason or another, either during a throw / live ball? I also use the finger in the air for last second shot, but I'm curious if there are others?
Saw ths once, my partner meant "call in my area again and
I'll break your neck!" Other than that this is a new
one for me.

Old Tue Oct 30, 2001, 01:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
I also use the finger in the air for last second shot...
Be careful which finger you use.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2001, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

I will use one finger in the air to indicate we are under a minute. If the ball is dead, I point to my (absent) wristwatch. The other sign I use is one hand patting my chest to indicate that I have the clock and last shot. (Of course this can change if something crazy happens.) If shouldn't be required, but I work at several levels with partners of all experiences.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2001, 02:40pm
Suppref

Smile Here are some I use

Quote:

Two hands on my neck means I kicked that call (choked)
Hands over my eyes means your call partner
Hands over my mouth means coach try this.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2001, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

While not the same type of signal as your question, there is one habit that I can not break. I will point to the pivot foot to “mark” it and I'll hold the mark. More than one partner has asked me about it.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2001, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

As I scroll down through the replies, I concur that fewer signals are better; which should be indicative of a thorough pregame. Stoppages provide excellent opportunities to speak to your partner(s) and make sure your point is understood as long as they are not repeated or in any way delays resuming play. The only signals I use are the tap of the chest to signal last shot responsiblity and a hand up in the air to prevent the ball being inbounded during a housekeeping moment, i.e., ball boys wiping a wet spot, etc.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2001, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up HAND SIGNALS

May regular partner and I use several signals throughout our games.
One of them is the pointing to the wrist during an inbound situation to inform each other of a last second shot. That is a quick reminder as to who will have the last shot call.

We also use a closed fist during a dead ball situation to let each other know to tighten up the calls some. That way we are on the same page with each other as far as the calls go.
Sometimes we might use and open hand to let each other know to loosen the calling up some and let them play. Usually the coaches and fans are already telling us that anyway.

Your biggest asset is to just make sure that you have good eye contact with your partner at all times. You don't want to surprise him/her by putting the ball into play when they aren't in position. Make sure that you aren't afraid to discuss a situation during a TO near the end of the game in order to be ready for anything.
A good pre-game and communicating again at half time will always help too.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2001, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Quote:
Originally posted by Hartwig2
Last season I used a few signals

1. I did use the wrench if the game was getting out of control, by my standards and needed to get tightened up for safty, it doesn't happen much, but there are those games. (Too many people getting hurt)

2. I take my right arm and touch my opposite shoulder if my partner is ballwatching, it is a get out of my area call. Also is "i got it", this was also to tell him to call some off the ball contact, early in the game of course

3. On a alternate posession or an out of bounds, If my partner doesn't know where it is going, i put a finger indicating the right direction in front of my stomach, so that he can see it but it isn't ovbious.

4. I always did the foul routine because it is very important, call the foul, give signal, point to the spot, ect. that is also good communication with your partner.

5. Also, a "the ball was tipped/touched" is a good one, but it must be pretty nonchalant, so the crowd doesn't constantly bark "but, your partner said it was touched"

These are just some signals I used last year that I can remember, but didn't use in my summer league and maybe won't this year. i changed partners so I am may not use them, because, as you learned, signals are only as good as the people who use them. if your partner doesn't understand you, then you're hosed.

On out of bounds where my partner didn't see it. I give a good strong signal. It shows 1), that he was looking where he was suppose to off ball, and 2) I had a good clear view of the play and I sell it.

I got a lecture once on the touched ball signal once as one of those "no no" signals. In volleyball it is a good signal but it is confusing in basketball. I have had my partner several times doing the touched ball signal while I am calling a foul. The crowd loved that call.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2001, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Hand signals - is there a manual of them?

Hand signals between partners are ok, as long as both understand specifically what message the other official is trying to convey. Unfortunately, as in the initiating post of this thread it, hand signals can be misunderstood.

For example, I had the opportunity work with a college-level official who, late in the 2nd qtr of a game, looked straight at me (from the lead prior to administering the a FT) and placed one closed fist on top of the otherin front of his waist (as I assumed my position as the trail). It was obvious that it was a signal for me to do something, but I had no idea what he was trying to tell me.

It the half, I asked him about that situation. He informed me that is a "universal" signal for good call. The call was a block/charge on a drive to the hoop.

Dang, do I need a pre-game (or a complete clinic) just to learn all the "universal" signals.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2001, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I would suggest keeping the hand signals to a minimum the more yo move your hands the more you'll get in trouble.
y question is what's wrong with verbal communication?

I would not do a wrench, coaches will pick up on it, There are so many times to talk, take a minute even if you need to at the next foul. I have seen enough ball that I have never seen a signal for watching my area get out.

On an AP or possession and your partner asks for help, Make a strong signal, Here is my rationale, He doesnt know and asks for help, You have two options... 1st you dont know either so it should be an automatic jump call. If you do know why hide it? He asked you come out with a strong point, If a coach doest see you, then sees you partner going up, all you will get is grief about guessing. My partner asks because he doesnt know it is now my responsibility to help and sell the call

There are very few times that you should ever do a tipped ball/toched ball signal. If you do it is only on your call, on your line and only if its close and you have to sell it to the cheap seats 25 rows up. Trail should help on blocked shots but only if partner looks or there is a clear indictaion that a call is about to be blown, but you dont need a hand signal for that most of the time.

I will talk to my partner even while the game is going on if I need to. Particularly if you get a one-on-one isolation right at the FT line, I will tell partner I have it or you have it, so that we know who will take the ball to the basket.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2001, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hartwig2
Last season I used a few signals

3. On a alternate posession or an out of bounds, If my partner doesn't know where it is going, i put a finger indicating the right direction in front of my stomach, so that he can see it but it isn't ovbious.

5. Also, a "the ball was tipped/touched" is a good one, but it must be pretty nonchalant, so the crowd doesn't constantly bark "but, your partner said it was touched"
I NEVER use this. Too much trouble can come of them. If your partner requests help on the call, it becomes your call. Take it and sell it. I had a partner try the "discrete" point once. I never saw it since there were players between us and it was so "discrete". I thought he was being unresponsive so I called a jump ball. Luckily no one else saw him either. At half, he asked why I didn't use his call. I told him, I did see him make a call. When I ask for help, I completely and clearly give up the call by looking to my partner and stating "Partner".

I also rarely use the tipped signal. I only use it well after the "play" when a coach asks. I never use it at the time of the tip/touch. Too much trouble when your partner has something else.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2001, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Willie I luv that! a signal for a good call that is universal... I have never seen it either. For what it's worth if I think may partner made a good call,especially a bang bang play Particularly if we are at FT line I will tell him loud enough that the players in the vicinity hear it. They find out that I supported the call and would have calle the same thing and they cant sya c'mon ref you had to see it different!