View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 31, 2001, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Quote:
Originally posted by Hartwig2
Last season I used a few signals

1. I did use the wrench if the game was getting out of control, by my standards and needed to get tightened up for safty, it doesn't happen much, but there are those games. (Too many people getting hurt)

2. I take my right arm and touch my opposite shoulder if my partner is ballwatching, it is a get out of my area call. Also is "i got it", this was also to tell him to call some off the ball contact, early in the game of course

3. On a alternate posession or an out of bounds, If my partner doesn't know where it is going, i put a finger indicating the right direction in front of my stomach, so that he can see it but it isn't ovbious.

4. I always did the foul routine because it is very important, call the foul, give signal, point to the spot, ect. that is also good communication with your partner.

5. Also, a "the ball was tipped/touched" is a good one, but it must be pretty nonchalant, so the crowd doesn't constantly bark "but, your partner said it was touched"

These are just some signals I used last year that I can remember, but didn't use in my summer league and maybe won't this year. i changed partners so I am may not use them, because, as you learned, signals are only as good as the people who use them. if your partner doesn't understand you, then you're hosed.

On out of bounds where my partner didn't see it. I give a good strong signal. It shows 1), that he was looking where he was suppose to off ball, and 2) I had a good clear view of the play and I sell it.

I got a lecture once on the touched ball signal once as one of those "no no" signals. In volleyball it is a good signal but it is confusing in basketball. I have had my partner several times doing the touched ball signal while I am calling a foul. The crowd loved that call.