View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 31, 2001, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hartwig2
Last season I used a few signals

3. On a alternate posession or an out of bounds, If my partner doesn't know where it is going, i put a finger indicating the right direction in front of my stomach, so that he can see it but it isn't ovbious.

5. Also, a "the ball was tipped/touched" is a good one, but it must be pretty nonchalant, so the crowd doesn't constantly bark "but, your partner said it was touched"
I NEVER use this. Too much trouble can come of them. If your partner requests help on the call, it becomes your call. Take it and sell it. I had a partner try the "discrete" point once. I never saw it since there were players between us and it was so "discrete". I thought he was being unresponsive so I called a jump ball. Luckily no one else saw him either. At half, he asked why I didn't use his call. I told him, I did see him make a call. When I ask for help, I completely and clearly give up the call by looking to my partner and stating "Partner".

I also rarely use the tipped signal. I only use it well after the "play" when a coach asks. I never use it at the time of the tip/touch. Too much trouble when your partner has something else.