View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 31, 2001, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I would suggest keeping the hand signals to a minimum the more yo move your hands the more you'll get in trouble.
y question is what's wrong with verbal communication?

I would not do a wrench, coaches will pick up on it, There are so many times to talk, take a minute even if you need to at the next foul. I have seen enough ball that I have never seen a signal for watching my area get out.

On an AP or possession and your partner asks for help, Make a strong signal, Here is my rationale, He doesnt know and asks for help, You have two options... 1st you dont know either so it should be an automatic jump call. If you do know why hide it? He asked you come out with a strong point, If a coach doest see you, then sees you partner going up, all you will get is grief about guessing. My partner asks because he doesnt know it is now my responsibility to help and sell the call

There are very few times that you should ever do a tipped ball/toched ball signal. If you do it is only on your call, on your line and only if its close and you have to sell it to the cheap seats 25 rows up. Trail should help on blocked shots but only if partner looks or there is a clear indictaion that a call is about to be blown, but you dont need a hand signal for that most of the time.

I will talk to my partner even while the game is going on if I need to. Particularly if you get a one-on-one isolation right at the FT line, I will tell partner I have it or you have it, so that we know who will take the ball to the basket.