The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

PIAA Coaching Box Enforcement

Hey all,

Haven't been on for a while so I don't know if anyone has posted this yet or not, but this was published in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette a few days ago. Basically, since the beginning of the new calendar year, officials, at the end of captains' meetings, have been told to remind coaches that the coaching box is there for them to coach, not to criticize or yell at officials. Thoughts?

PIAA has a message for coaches

Sunday, January 21, 2007
By Mike White, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The PIAA has a message for basketball coaches around the state: Stand up to coach, not complain.

The PIAA recently sent a memo to all the chapters representing basketball officials throughout the state, telling them to make the coaching box rule a point of emphasis.

The PIAA -- and the WPIAL -- are not pleased with the behavior of coaches toward officials. Both organizations say the number of coaches ejected for receiving two technicals is on the rise.

Under the PIAA coaching box rule, coaches are allowed to stand to coach their team. But they are not supposed to stand in order to complain to officials. They can receive a technical for such behavior.

Until a few years ago, coaches had to stay seated at all times during games, except to call a timeout. The PIAA changed the rule in 2004, allowing coaches to stand during the action.

"The PIAA just wants to remind officials of the rule and the spirit of the rule," WPIAL executive director Tim O'Malley said. "Coaches have the right to stand to more effectively coach their kids. But if a coach is getting up and debating every call, in essence, he is violating the rule. Unfortunately that's what has evolved. Coaches are walking up and down the sideline, giving an earful to officials because that's what they see on TV."

O'Malley said six WPIAL coaches have been ejected from games this season after receiving two technicals. "That's higher than usual," O'Malley said.

One coach, who was not identified, has received seven technicals this season.

"The number of coaches receiving technicals and being ejected has risen to a level of concern in this area and statewide," O'Malley said. "The privilege to stand will be debated in the future, if it's being misused. Maybe it will go back to the way it used to be."
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
Hey all,

Haven't been on for a while so I don't know if anyone has posted this yet or not, but this was published in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette a few days ago. Basically, since the beginning of the new calendar year, officials, at the end of captains' meetings, have been told to remind coaches that the coaching box is there for them to coach, not to criticize or yell at officials. Thoughts?

PIAA has a message for coaches

Sunday, January 21, 2007
By Mike White, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The PIAA has a message for basketball coaches around the state: Stand up to coach, not complain.

The PIAA recently sent a memo to all the chapters representing basketball officials throughout the state, telling them to make the coaching box rule a point of emphasis.

The PIAA -- and the WPIAL -- are not pleased with the behavior of coaches toward officials. Both organizations say the number of coaches ejected for receiving two technicals is on the rise.

Under the PIAA coaching box rule, coaches are allowed to stand to coach their team. But they are not supposed to stand in order to complain to officials. They can receive a technical for such behavior.

Until a few years ago, coaches had to stay seated at all times during games, except to call a timeout. The PIAA changed the rule in 2004, allowing coaches to stand during the action.

"The PIAA just wants to remind officials of the rule and the spirit of the rule," WPIAL executive director Tim O'Malley said. "Coaches have the right to stand to more effectively coach their kids. But if a coach is getting up and debating every call, in essence, he is violating the rule. Unfortunately that's what has evolved. Coaches are walking up and down the sideline, giving an earful to officials because that's what they see on TV."

O'Malley said six WPIAL coaches have been ejected from games this season after receiving two technicals. "That's higher than usual," O'Malley said.

One coach, who was not identified, has received seven technicals this season.

"The number of coaches receiving technicals and being ejected has risen to a level of concern in this area and statewide," O'Malley said. "The privilege to stand will be debated in the future, if it's being misused. Maybe it will go back to the way it used to be."
I totally agree, NFHS should take the same approach as the NBA in this matter.