The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Hello

I coach in a local township league and I have a question. I had the understanding that a defensive player can't yell at a shooter during a shot (dead or live ball). That this was considered an unsportsmanship-like conduct and would result in a T. I checked the PIAA site, but could not find any rules. Am I off base?

A concerned coach and part-time ref

Thanks for any clarification
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Yelling is disconcertion and a violation of NF (High School Rules)... However if it is loud enough or it continues oh yes it is a T!
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 09:30pm
In Memoriam

All shots, whether they are from the floor or from the free throw line are live. You can't score with a dead ball.

There is no rule against a defender hollering at the shooter on a shot from the floor, unless unsportsmanlike comments,swearing,etc. were involved. If a defender does it on a foul shot, a "disconcertion" violation could be called if the free throw was missed. The penalty for disconcertion(again,unless swearing,etc. was involved) is simply giving a substitute free throw for the one that was missed. If the free throw was made, the disconcertion would not be called.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Yelling is disconcertion and a violation of NF (High School Rules)...
Only during a FT.

Quote:
However if it is loud enough or it continues oh yes it is a T!
Hmmm, I hate to defer with a man who is in a far away land, fighting for our country but I don't know that I agree with that. Based on what ruling?
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Franko
Hello

I coach in a local township league and I have a question. I had the understanding that a defensive player can't yell at a shooter during a shot (dead or live ball). That this was considered an unsportsmanship-like conduct and would result in a T. I checked the PIAA site, but could not find any rules. Am I off base?

A concerned coach and part-time ref

Thanks for any clarification
There are no special rules that I am aware of that the PIAA has added to the NFHS set in this area. The above refs are correct that yelling during a FT can be considered disconcertion and each ref will manage the game in the way they see best. Since this is a league in a local township, perhaps there are local rules adopted for this league.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Let me clarify

You are right thay yelling is only disconcertion on a FT but that was the question.

The continued yelling would be a T-- (I would talk to the player and coach before a whack) but if there is disconcertion on every play, then it becomes unsportsmanlike as far as I am concerned.

If I remember right there is something in rule 10 about making a mockery of the game and theninvoking the elastic powers clause I would whack em...
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let me clarify

You are right thay yelling is only disconcertion on a FT but that was the question.
Actually, it wasn't. There's nothing in the original post that indicates he's asking about a FT. Otherwise, I wouldn't have replied to you post.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 01:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:

If I remember right there is something in rule 10 about making a mockery of the game and theninvoking the elastic powers clause I would whack em...
From the POE's issued in the 2001/2002 rule book: "The committee emphasizes that disconcertion is a violation and may result in a substitute throw.If persistent or deemed unsporting, the team/player may be penalized with a technical foul". The "team" mentioned in the POE was put in there to cover the actions of the bench.You can nail the bench if they are trying to disconcert the FT shooter.

No need to use R2-3- the elastic powers rule. You have this to back up your calls.