The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Extending the arms fully or partially other than vertically so that freedom of movement of an opponent is hindered when contact with the arms occurs is not legal. These positions are employed when rebounding, screening or in various aspects of postplay...That is directly from the rule book 10.6.1.

A player shall not: hold, push, charge, trip; nor impede the progress of an opponent by extending an arm, shoulder, hip or knee, or by bending the body into other than a normal position...also from 10.6.1

There you have it, IT'S ILLEGAL!
I don't agree with your interpretation of that rule.

I don't think that locking your arms in the manner described qualifies as extension or partial extension of your ams.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden
I don't agree with your interpretation of that rule.

I don't think that locking your arms in the manner described qualifies as extension or partial extension of your ams.

Then why ask the question, if all you do is ignore the answer?

That is the rule book, it's clear that 1. locking your arms in front of your body is extending your arm other than vertical, so what's to interpret? 2. feet wide, leaning back in a squat, with your arms locked several inches in front of the body is not a natural position, because you are bending your body in an unnatural way...again both fall completely under the no-no's in 10.6.1.

If I'm coaching against your team, my defenders will be contacting that illegal technique all game long, drawing one foul after another.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

OK

How is crossing your arms on your chest vertical??? I read extension as extending the elbow. And the elbow is not extended.

How is it an unnatural postion, you are in no different body position than your are receiving a pass? How can it be unnatural?
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

touching their chest

Unless their arms are touching their chest or stomach while they are crossed, they are extended even if ever so slightly......illegal
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

another point

Here is one I have seen and heard coaches, and even a few officials use....if it isn't called it is legal....using that logic, and I agree with it, if it is called it is ILLEGAL....so there you have it, illegal LOL
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden
OK

How is crossing your arms on your chest vertical??? I read extension as extending the elbow. And the elbow is not extended.

How is it an unnatural postion, you are in no different body position than your are receiving a pass? How can it be unnatural?
I think you're envisioning a entirely different pose than the rest of us.

I read the description to be that the upper arms are pointed directly away from the body (with the elbows out) and the forearms are folded back in, toward the chest.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I think you're envisioning a entirely different pose than the rest of us.

I read the description to be that the upper arms are pointed directly away from the body (with the elbows out) and the forearms are folded back in, toward the chest.

I see the I Dream of Jeanie pose, with arms out from the shoulders, arms crossed with hands on opposite biceps...although Barbara Eden wasn't in an unnatural squat. But what part of the arm that is out isn't really important, because by rule ANY PART being extended other than vertical is illegal if contact hinders an opponent, which is the entire purpose of a screen.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
I see the I Dream of Jeanie pose, with arms out from the shoulders, arms crossed with hands on opposite biceps...although Barbara Eden wasn't in an unnatural squat....
Geeze...this is a thought provoking post.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Unnatural squats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Geeze...this is a thought provoking post.
Jeez I was just searching for some help on screening and got myself all wrapped up in Barbara Eden and unnatural squats.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Jeez I was just searching for some help on screening and got myself all wrapped up in Barbara Eden and unnatural squats.
As opposed to Barbara Eden and natural squats?
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

From what I can see, this would be an illegal screen.

But I would want to see it again. And again.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Just a quick question that I didn't think deserved it's own thread. But what type of foul is an illegal screen? Player control or blocking or what?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsatchmo
Just a quick question that I didn't think deserved it's own thread. But what type of foul is an illegal screen? Player control or blocking or what?
It could be any of the above depending on whether the screener had the ball and the specific action. It's most often a block.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

I coached girl's varsity for 10 years and always told them if they didn't want to get called for illegal screen to stand with feet shoulder width apart, arms at sides - touching their shorts. It worked. We didn't have many calls against us for illegal screens and the ones we had - the girls would look at me and tell me they weren't set or something. No one got hurt either.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 11:12am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
As a former resident of Cocoa Beach, I feel it my duty to ask this board to refrain from any I Dream of Jeannie references that may be considered derogatory. Squats, whether natural or unnatural, were never part of Jeannie's personna. I ask that the Decency/Thought police step in and expunge those naughty images from everyones imagination.