The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Are Coaches Crazy?

Girls JV last night....Home team has 7 players, visitors 12. Home team looks bad in warm ups. Visitors, look good, they are tall & athletic. Game starts. Home team takes the lead, 2, 4, 5...1st quarter 5 points. Visitors can handle the press, but the press is putting the home team in fould trouble. Half time Visitors down 10. Visitor coach is beginning to complain and he is very loud. It's a small gym. 3rd quarter starts with home team on a 12- 2 run. Visiting coach removes all his starters and puts in 5 subs, most of which were much shorter than the home team, I am talking 5' , 5'2" very short. Home team streches the lead to 30 and no sign of the starters coming back. We're in the 4th quarter not and the coach is complaining about EVERYTHING. He wants a "T", he is begging me for a "T" on one play, he asks " how was that not a welk?" so, I go to him and explain that the player can lift the piviot foot without walking. He is screaming at me over and over....I knew what he wanted and I wasn't giving it to him. No matter what was going on, he was screaming and complaining. There wasn't a person in the building that could not hear him. Final score they lost by 32 points.

Would you have given him the "T"?

In that state, if you are tossed ( and that's what should have been done) they loose 3 games pay and can't coach the next 2 games. That had nothing to do with my decision not to "T" him. In some of the comments he made to me, he refered to the high school I attended and that was why I sucked as a ref and several other comments. My partner agreed, he wanted it and not giving it to him was better than giving it to him.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 02:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Wow, he screamed at you, got personal, continued doing so? And you think it was better not to T him?
Wow!
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 02:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
he asks " how was that not a welk?"
You say "because it looked nothing like this", then you bust this out your pocket:

a ONE, a TWO

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 26, 2007 at 02:37pm.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
This is a joke right?

I mean, you can NOT be serious, right?

Right??
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't read your post. I only read the thread title and I'll answer YES!
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 02:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
1) Visitor coach is beginning to complain and he is very loud. It's a small gym.
2) We're in the 4th quarter now and the coach is complaining about EVERYTHING.
3) He wants a "T", he is begging me for a "T" on one play, he asks " how was that not a walk?"
4) He is screaming at me over and over....
5) No matter what was going on, he was screaming and complaining.
6) There wasn't a person in the building that could not hear him.
7) In some of the comments he made to me, he refered to the high school I attended and that was why I sucked as a ref and several other comments.

Would you have given him the "T"?
Are you serious?

This is a joke, right?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
You say "because it looked nothing like this", then you bust this out your pocket:

a ONE, a TWO
Are you serious?

This is a joke, right?

Seriously Turttle Fan, this should've never gotten to Point #2. You essentially used the excuse "I wasn't gonna give him what he wanted" as a reason to not have the balls to call the T. It's obvious he was frustrated, and you let him turn the entire game into an unpleasant experience for your partner, all the players, other coaches, and fans.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

a ONE, a TWO
The presence of a welk alone is enough for a T. Seriously, there's some good jazz out there but it has never been found coming from a welk!
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'm curious...what is the rules or philosophical basis for not giving the coach a T simply because he wants it? You've said you didn't give it to him because he wanted it, but I'm interested in knowing why.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:52pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
HEY! My wife is a Welk and that's my father-in-laws late second cousin. I think. Lay off the Welk's!!!!! They're really a fun bunch!!
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm curious...what is the rules or philosophical basis for not giving the coach a T simply because he wants it? You've said you didn't give it to him because he wanted it, but I'm interested in knowing why.
Because he was trying to get to me. He wanted the "T"

AND, if I "T" him up, I have to write a report as to WHY I "T"ed him up. If he were winning, he would have gotten the "T", If it were a close game, he would have gotten it. but down 30, what's it going to do?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 04:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

AND, if I "T" him up, I have to write a report as to WHY I "T"ed him up. If he were winning, he would have gotten the "T", If it were a close game, he would have gotten it. but down 30, what's it going to do?
It's going to teach his JV girls team that even the coach can't get away with poor sportsmanship, no matter what the game situation is.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 04:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
It's going to teach his JV girls team that even the coach can't get away with poor sportsmanship, no matter what the game situation is.
And if he keeps getting them, the school may get a clue and find someone who acutally can coach, which benefits everyone.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The truth comes out. Too damn lazy to do the paperwork afterward. Just get one of the many canned reports your association has on file from past incidents, modify it a little, and slap a stamp on it. How hard can that be? By letting this go on and on the whole game, you made a travesty of the whole situation.