The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

From my Tuesday night boys varsity game:

Twice in the first half, we used the resuming play procedure because V wasn't breaking its huddle after time outs. The first time, we put the ball on the floor and V barely gets to it for a timely throw in. Second time, V still is in its huddle when we hand the ball to H for a full court pass and a layup.

Now we're in the 3rd quarter, coming out of a time out. H will have the ball for an end line throw in following a V basket. Neither team breaks from its huddle after 2 horns and a verbal warning after the first horn. I blow my whistle and place the ball on the floor. H is just breaking its huddle. V1 runs onto the court and, on my count of four, grabs the ball and inbounds to V2.

Oops, it was H's ball. Instead of a 5-second count against H, we've got a delay of game warning on V. I don't think Coach H understood what happened. Coach V, who was up 30 at the time, just buried his head in his hands.

And you thought that only happened in middle school girls games!

Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
From my Tuesday night boys varsity game:

And you thought that only happened in middle school girls games!

We expect it in MS Girls games!

Actually, I did a trio of MS games last night (7th Grade Boys, 8th grade boys, and 8th grade girls), the girls game was the best coached and played game of the three.

NOTE: 8th Grade boys game had the coach ejection for 2 direct Ts (see "Why are we reluctant to call Ts?")
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Okay, I'll tell you my Resuming-Play-Procedure story from when my daughter played. I know I am remembering this correctly, even though I wasn't a ref at the time it happened. I was fascinated at the way it went and how obvious the rules were and how clearly the ref communicated the whole situation.

Girls varsity, third quarter, close playoff game. Full time out (we had fulls back then, not 60s). Horn sounds. Ref blows. Horn sounds again. No one breaks. Ref blows....blows again. Finally put ball down for V. Neither huddle breaks. Ref gives the full treatment with a big visual 5-count. Blows whistle again. Yells loudly, "Benson ball! White ball!" Still, neither huddle breaks. Ref begins 5-count again. At this point, one of my daughter's (Benson, home) teammates recognizes the situation, grabs her friend and races across the floor, grabs the ball, and tosses it to friend, who shoots an easy three. As this is happening, V coach sees Benson grab what he thinks should be his ball, he runs onto the floor and gets a T. Benson hits both free throws, and gets the ball at half-court. V players are rattled. Benson throws in, player dribbles to sweet spot and hits another easy three. Eight quick points because one little Benson gal knew the rules! It would be an even better story if Benson had just won!
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
It would be an even better story if Benson had just won!
I guess that means that Benson lost. Apparently, Clayton Endicott III finally got the better of him!
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 05:39pm
9 times

Quote:
Full time out (we had fulls back then, not 60s).
Interesting. We still have fulls. Never knew they left. I must have missed the memo.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Quote:
Full time out (we had fulls back then, not 60s).
Interesting. We still have fulls. Never knew they left. I must have missed the memo.
Havent you done any Fed in the last two years? We lost them first of last season -- no more fulls, only 30s and 60s.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, I'll tell you my Resuming-Play-Procedure story from when my daughter played. I know I am remembering this correctly, even though I wasn't a ref at the time it happened. I was fascinated at the way it went and how obvious the rules were and how clearly the ref communicated the whole situation.

Girls varsity, third quarter, close playoff game. Full time out (we had fulls back then, not 60s). Horn sounds. Ref blows. Horn sounds again. No one breaks. Ref blows....blows again. Finally put ball down for V. Neither huddle breaks. Ref gives the full treatment with a big visual 5-count. Blows whistle again. Yells loudly, "Benson ball! White ball!" Still, neither huddle breaks. Ref begins 5-count again. At this point, one of my daughter's (Benson, home) teammates recognizes the situation, grabs her friend and races across the floor, grabs the ball, and tosses it to friend, who shoots an easy three. As this is happening, V coach sees Benson grab what he thinks should be his ball, he runs onto the floor and gets a T. Benson hits both free throws, and gets the ball at half-court. V players are rattled. Benson throws in, player dribbles to sweet spot and hits another easy three. Eight quick points because one little Benson gal knew the rules! It would be an even better story if Benson had just won!
FYI, this whole play is detailed in 7.5.1.
However, just to push the issue, didn't the Benson team break rule 10-1-9? That is a technical foul!

[Edited by Nevadaref on Feb 1st, 2003 at 05:25 AM]
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

I am with stripes on this one..

Which memo did I miss that says it's 60's and 30's?

Then again who cares? I report to my timers full time out or short time out and give appropriate signal. Oh well one more thing for me to be marked down in my evaluations.

Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 07:22pm
In Memoriam

Cool Must be a Michigan problem.

Quote:
V1 runs onto the court and, on my count of four, grabs the ball and inbounds to V2.

Oops, it was H's ball. Instead of a 5-second count against H, we've got a delay of game warning on V. I don't think Coach H understood what happened. Coach V, who was up 30 at the time, just buried his head in his hands.

stan-MI,

Friday night. Varsity.

Hasn't broken the huddle.

V1 runs off the the court and, on my count of Two, grabs the ball and inbounds to V2.

Oops, it was H's ball.

V1, after my whistle blew, "I can do that can't I?"

"Buddy, you just bailed 'em out."
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Havent you done any Fed in the last two years? We lost them first of last season -- no more fulls, only 30s and 60s.
I guess I'm confused. What's the difference between a 60 and a full?
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 08:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I guess I'm confused. What's the difference between a 60 and a full?
A wry wit may be wasted, instead of tasted.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 05:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
V1 runs onto the court and, on my count of four, grabs the ball and inbounds to V2.

stan-MI,

Friday night. Varsity.

V1 runs off the the court and, on my count of Two, grabs the ball and inbounds to V2.

Oops, it was H's ball.

Just wondering if you guys are calling a T for this or are letting them slide with a violation.
9-2 Penalty #3 If an opponent(s) of the thrower reaches through the throw-in boundary-line plane and touches or dislodges the ball, a technical foul shall be charged to the offender. No warning for delay required.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 08:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Quote:

stan-MI,

Friday night. Varsity.

Oops, it was H's ball.

Just wondering if you guys are calling a T for this or are letting them slide with a violation.
9-2 Penalty #3 If an opponent(s) of the thrower reaches through the throw-in boundary-line plane and touches or dislodges the ball, a technical foul shall be charged to the offender. No warning for delay required.
...warning for breaking the plane.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 11:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Quote:

stan-MI,

Friday night. Varsity.

Oops, it was H's ball.

Tower Philosophy?
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 11:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Tower Philosophy? [/B][/QUOTE]

Why not? It's only a game.