The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Backcourt violation or not?

Had a strange one the other night. Girls varsity game. A1 close to the division line passes the ball across court. The ball hits in the backcourt and has spin on it. A2 catches the pass with both feet in the front court. Violation or not? Rule reference would be appreciated. I have looked it up myself, but it was a strange play. After some comments, I will let you know what my partner called.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

A1 was in the frontcournt. I didn't make that clear in the thread.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Backcourt

It looks like back court to me, but I wouldn't call it. The ball has backcourt status. If a player jumps from front court and touches the ball, he has front court status and it's a back court violation.

But if you call this....the coach and the crowd are going to go nuts....JMO
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoe
Had a strange one the other night. Girls varsity game. A1 close to the division line passes the ball across court. The ball hits in the backcourt and has spin on it. A2 catches the pass with both feet in the front court. Violation or not? Rule reference would be appreciated. I have looked it up myself, but it was a strange play. After some comments, I will let you know what my partner called.
Violation as per rule 9-9-1, if A1 was in the front court when he passed the ball.

If your partner didn't call the violation, he was wrong.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
It looks like back court to me, but I wouldn't call it. The ball has backcourt status. If a player jumps from front court and touches the ball, he has front court status and it's a back court violation.

Are you serious? You're not going to make the RIGHT call because you're worried about what the coach and the freaking fans think?

That's completely ludicrous!

I hate to tell you this but there's quite a few coaches out there that do know and understand the rule. If you fail to call that one, the other coach is gonna be on your butt. And I don't blame him one bit.

Btw, the player doesn't have to jump from the front court either to have a violation. It's a violation if the player is in the front court when he's the first to touch the ball after it was in the back court.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Sooooo...A1, FC status, is trapped in the corner near the division line. He purposely throws a pass into the backcourt with spin on it so that it bounces one-time and a) goes directly to A2 who is standing in the frontcourt or b) then bounces one time in the frontcourt before going directly to A2 who is standing in the frontcourt.

You (and other folks from previous threads) WOULD NOT call this a backcourt violation?

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 11:19am.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Partner called backcourt violation. We discussed it without rule book. Just thought it was an odd sit. No one said a word. They probably didn't know one way or the other.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

I have called that play a BC violation.
But isn't this being examined by NFHS?
See http://forum.officiating.com/showpos...4&postcount=13
Until then, it is a BC violation.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Sooooo...A1, FC status, is trapped in the corner near the division line. He purposely throws a pass into the backcourt with spin on it so that it bounces one-time and a) goes directly to A2 who is standing in the frontcourt or b) then bounces one time in the frontcourt before going directly to A2 who is standing in the frontcourt.

You (and other folks from previous threads) WOULD NOT call this a backcourt violation?
kycat1, What's your call on the above situations?
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Same answer as always!

You know how I'll answer!

a) When the ball hits the division line or the backcourt and goes directly to A2 in the air, the ball still has backcourt position since it touched the backcourt last before A2 catches it, so you have an over and back violation.

b) When the ball hits the division line or backcourt and then bounces in the front court and is then picked up by A2, the ball now has front court position and since A2 has front court position, I have no violation. Play on!
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:

That's not a reason to not make the correct call.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycat1
b) When the ball hits the division line or backcourt and then bounces in the front court and is then picked up by A2, the ball now has front court position and since A2 has front court position, I have no violation. Play on!
Really? So you believe it's okay to ignore this rule?

A player shall not be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

Where does it say it's okay for A2 to touch the ball if it comes back into the FC?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 02:12pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Where does it say it's okay for A2 to touch the ball if it comes back into the FC?
In Mary Struckoff's email.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 02:43pm
MABO Member

Is this an actual reference? Can you show it to us?

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 02:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
In Mary Struckoff's email.
Not to worry. There is nowayinhell that the officials on the Rules Committeee will ever allow that one to change. It's been the same interpretation under both NFHS and NCAA rules forever.

Mary Struckhoff is the rule book editor. That position sureasheck doesn't mean that she has a good knowledge of the rules.