The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 03:14pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Is this an actual reference? Can you show it to us?
Here is the main part of Ms. Struckoff's email that was posted by kycat1 in another thread. Please note that I did not receive this email and I cannot vouch for its authenticity (although I do believe that it is authentic). I am merely copying from another post.

Quote:
I do believe the intent of the rule is that where the ball is touched is important. If it comes back to the frontcourt after touching the official in the backcourt and the offensive player regains control in the frontcourt, both have frontcourt status and no violation has occurred. They just got lucky that the ball hit the official and came back....that can be true of an errant pass about to fly out of bounds and hits the official and stays inbounds.....In order to be a violation, it must be touched in the backcourt.

I will run this by the committee in April to make sure they agree and see if they want to make any editorial changes to the rule itself.

Mary

Mary Struckhoff
NFHS Assistant Director
Basketball Rules Editor/National Interpreter
On a related topic. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic
Mary Struckhoff is the rule book editor. That position sureasheck doesn't mean that she has a good knowledge of the rules.
Take a look at how she "signed" the email. "Basketball Rules Editor/National Interpreter". And don't forget that the Rules Committee is not made up only of officials. The ADs/Coaches might not care if the change is made.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 03:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1

Take a look at how she "signed" the email. "Basketball Rules Editor/National Interpreter". And don't forget that the Rules Committee is not made up only of officials. The ADs/Coaches might not care if the change is made.
National Interpreter? What? Was Old School busy that day?

Btw, they'd better be prepared to delete case book 9.9.1SitC. It's exactly the same-reversed.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 03:27pm.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

backcourt violation. 9.1 "A player shall not be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt." A1 caused the ball to go into the back court and it was touched first by A2. the rule does not make a provision for where A2 is on the court when she touches it.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 03:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
backcourt violation. 9.1 "A player shall not be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt." A1 caused the ball to go into the back court and it was touched first by A2. the rule does not make a provision for where A2 is on the court when she touches it.
We know that.

Mary Struckhoff doesn't.