Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
You have done a lot more of these types of games than I have, Dan, so I obviously am wrong about getting wide. I've got some questions, though. Where are you picturing the shooter and the probable foul-er as being in relation to the paint, and in relation to the lead? Looking back at the OP, I'm thinking you and I might be seeing very different plays?
There's no wrong or right, there's only what gets you in position to make a good call.

It doesn't really matter how you and I see the plays, with 10 seconds left you can usually tell who (if anyone) is going to drive the lane and if you're watching the defenders you can tell where he's heading (maybe I give the players too much credit here? ). So in many cases the T will be on ball and should follow the dribble to the basket ie 'work the arc' and move down to C. Exception might be when the dribbler starts his drive low on the L's side and curls in. In that case the L would start wide but I do not want to stay wide, I want to get to the lane line or even a step or 2 in. As Woddy pointed out as L you can also stay wide and take a step out onto the floor to get a good view, I just prefer not to do that.

I guess the message to take away is with 2 whisltes you have to be active to get a good view, even if it's your 7th game in a row.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Dan. If you didn't see it, don't call it. One major problem in 2 whistle is that there are plays you aren't going to see. To me, you are far better off in the long run not making a call than guessing. In addition, it's game 7 of the night and you were probably getting a little tired and possibly not in the best position. Don't worry about having to call the T in an intramural game. This is a unique position and when you're working for real you won't be in game 7 of your night.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Smile so helpful!

I'm amazed by this board - I've read through all the replies, and appreciate the kind words of encouragement. My boss always told me, your only friend on the court is your partner, but when he's even greener than me, it helps me so much to know from experienced officiating crews that I'm not completely off-track.

To be more specific about the play, the drive started on the T's side (opposite side of the lane from me, near the key) and ended up right in front of me (my side of the lane) - I was standing about 1-2 steps out from the lane, and the guy went flying right past me on the edge of the lane (from his vantage point, started at the top of the key, went to his left, crossed over and changed directions, went through the paint diagonally, tried a right-handed layup and the right side of the backboard when he got pushed). I was pretty screened from the push - I guess you could connect the dots and make a straight line with me, the offensive player, and the defender who pushed (who was behind the offensive player). As soon as the guy went down, he started yelling when he didn't see my arm up, so my subconcious ego kicked in and there was no way I was going to call a foul just to placate his anger! And as for the gasp of the crowd - - his

One thing I hear a lot here is to scoot back - usually I'm right on top of the play, maybe a step away from the baseline. Do most here stay even farther back than that - and does it help that much? Another question I have is, is it okay to really "pace the line" and move around a lot when on the baseline? And the last question is (sorry!), when T on a 2-man, where should I be standing when the ball is a) at the top of the key, b) on the far side away from me, c) in the corner near my side, and d) when it's in the paint?

I get frustrated because IM games are really sloppy, and the level of competition can range from people who have never played organized basketball before to others who can/have played on big ten teams, so it's hard to call "my game." But still, I can at least work on these mechanics and get those down - is there anything else anyone recommends?

Thanks again for all the good words here, it makes me look forward to going back out and doing another game to try these new spots out (and after i missed that call in the last game - my attitude was far from wanting to do another game!).
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 02:39pm
MABO Member

I will move around quite a bit on the baseline. Trying to get the best angle and "ref the gap" if possible. When the ball is out of my primary I am approximately 1-2ft inside the 3 pt line and a couple of steps back from the end line. I am watching the matchups off the ball. When the ball rotates across the key I will move over to about 2-3 ft from the lane and try to stay back off the end line still if you have the room. If you are crowded for space on the end line then keep your angles wider.
If you feel you are starting to reach for calls across the lane out of your primary a good trick is to move back toward the 3 pt line as the play develops on the opposite side of the court. I am not saying move yourself out of position to not be able to see what is going on in the piant, but the slight movement will help you refocus on your match ups.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.