The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   travel or play on (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31105-travel-play.html)

kref Mon Jan 22, 2007 09:03am

travel or play on

A1 goes up for a shot being gaurded by B1. B1 knocks the ball out of A1 hands while A1 on his way up for shot. A1 regains control of ball while in air and returns to floor. Is this traveling or not??:confused:
nfhs

IREFU2 Mon Jan 22, 2007 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kref
A1 goes up for a shot being gaurded by B1. B1 knocks the ball out of A1 hands while A1 on his way up for shot. A1 regains control of ball while in air and returns to floor. Is this traveling or not??:confused:
nfhs

Nope, no travel, play on.

SmokeEater Mon Jan 22, 2007 09:23am

Here's a twist, same sitch, only this time player just fumbles the ball in the air but is able to regain control before landing. What ya got now?

kref Mon Jan 22, 2007 09:27am

irefu2
That's what I thought but cannot find a clear cut answer in the case book.

IREFU2 Mon Jan 22, 2007 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kref
irefu2
That's what I thought but cannot find a clear cut answer in the case book.

I think the thing here is control. Once the ball is release for a shot, then the player can get the ball back, plus it was blocked which allows him to recover it also.

SECTION 5 ILLEGAL DRIBBLE
A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 . . . A try for field goal.
ART. 2 . . . A bat by an opponent.
ART. 3 . . . A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Here's a twist, same sitch, only this time player just fumbles the ball in the air but is able to regain control before landing. What ya got now?

We argued this one to death before, with no definitive ruling or consensus iirc. Some say travel(me). Some say legal.

wfd21 Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:02am

JR, NCAA 4-18.4 A.R.82 says it is ok to recover in the air and land. Can not start a dribble.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wfd21
JR, NCAA 4-18.4 A.R.82 says it is ok to recover in the air and land. Can not start a dribble.

That was brought out too during the extensive discussion. There's no similar ruling available in NFHS.

wfd21 Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:19am

I agree. Would like to see a case play in NFHS rule book.

btaylor64 Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:16pm

Quote:

Don't interfere with flow or play by blowing a whistle on a play that you think is a walk. If you don't know and/or are unsure, don't blow, you've just disrupted the game with a guess and an uneducated one at that.

deecee Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:29pm

bbtaylor64 are you the authority on when an official makes an eneducated guess?

SeanFitzRef Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:47pm

Quote:

Travel in this sitch. No shot attempt, no contact by another player, just jumping in the air and fumbling the ball? Pivot foot lifted off the floor, must do something with the ball.

Camron Rust Mon Jan 22, 2007 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef
Travel in this sitch. No shot attempt, no contact by another player, just jumping in the air and fumbling the ball? Pivot foot lifted off the floor, must do something with the ball.

It is a travel to start a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor. What this the case? No. A fumble is not a dribble.

It is a travel to move the feet beyond certain limits while holding the ball. Did this happen? No, the player was not holding the ball.

SeanFitzRef Mon Jan 22, 2007 01:30pm

Cam, Cam, Cam.

Read the OP.

Player leaps in the air, fumbles the ball, regains posession, lands. That isn't a travel?

WOW!!
I think NFHS 4.44.3b says this is the case.

Jimgolf Mon Jan 22, 2007 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef
WOW!!
I think NFHS 4.44.3b says this is the case.

4.44.3b refers to after a pivot foot being established. Can you jump for a shot without establishing a pivot foot?

It also refers to a player "holding" the ball, while here, we're talking about a fumble.