The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

It finally dawned on me

Went to watch a mens's D-III game at the college across the street from my house yesterday. It was a very fun game to watch. The game was very fast and physical, but a very clean and well played game. Like I said both teams physical, but very much under control. As I watched, it finally dawned on me what's been bothering me this season. After many games this year my wife has remarked that I don't seem to be having as much fun as in the past. She's been right. I was new to this area and came in as an unkown. I am grateful for all of the opportunities to officiate I've had. Schools around have been good to me, but they have been smaller schools in smaller conferences than I was used to and the caliber of play that I have worked this year has not quite been what I was used to, at all levels. There have been a couple of schools that have really kicking programs, but not all that many. I've worked with some good partners and crews and have worked with guys who were probably as unhappy with me as I was with them. I have missed working with guys I knew well enough that we could know what the other was thinking by the expression on our faces and instinctively knowing where the other was going to go and how we were going to call things. I've seen some good games. But also seen some very sloppy play filled with lots of "chippy" stuff. Way too many hands, physical in an uncontrolled way, too much reaching, grabbing, and overall undisciplined play...and way too much whining. In general just not real good basketball and not the easiest or most enjoyable kind of games to officiate. It's been a learning year but not the easiest one I've had. I'm already filling up next year's schedule and I hope that I will have proven this year that I can do the job and will, overall, have a better season next year. OK, thanks for letting me whine! I've whined enough. Time to go polish my shoes!