The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Had a tough situation that I was unaware of during the game. Any pointers would be nice.
Cracker box gym tonite, boys JV. As I am running the sidelines and endlines I bump into various people as I get into position. People are sitting on the endline bleachers, and getting a) A great view of my butt and b) their toes stepped on a lot. On a couple of occasions I bumped into one of the coaches pretty hard, but we eventually figured out a little ballet where we were not running into each other as much. (He was usually in his box, but the benches are about 6" from the line)
Well, I am transitioning to lead on a FB. Ball is on my side. Out of the corner of my eye I see a line of people coming down the sideline. I am running at a pretty good clip and feel me bump a few of them. Near the end I feel some really solid contact, but I also have a play in front of me. Once the play is over, I believe it was a made bucket, I glance over to the side where I felt the contact, but did not see anyone on the floor or anything, so off we went to the other end.
At the end of the game as my partner and I were walking out, a rather irate mother comes storming after me. She asks if I remeber hitting anyone. I said Ma'am I bumped into a lot of people tonite. She said "Well you football tackled a little cheerleader from the other school. Then after you football tackled her you did not even stop the game to see if she was alright" I asked if the girl was alright and she said no. I asked if they took her to the hospital, she said no, but she hit her head on the floor etc etc. She tells me I should apologize to the girl for hitting her. I ask her to show me where she was and I went over and apologized for running into her.
I felt bad about it, but wasn't sure there was anything I could do. The thought that kept running through my head was where were the game management people stopping people from walking around the court during live ball situation?
Long post, I know. Any suggestions?
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

It's unfortunate but it happens sometimes in cracker box gyms.

BTW, why was the cheerleader standing during a live ball, or was she just walking around? Is this specifically why cheerleaders should stay seated during play?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
She was a varsity Cheerleader and was going to the opposite end of the gym to their spot. Why the did not wait for a dead ball I don't know
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I leveled a mom once. Same type of situation. What the heck was she doing trying to walk out when the game was going? Felt bad, but you sure can't stop the game! Especially when the other team is getting a fast break. You might just eyeball the situation after a made basket, but I could see how this might not be possible. You did the best you could, I expect. Just think of the story she'll have to tell to her grandchildren!
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 03:42am
We don't rent pigs

one of my pet peeves

You have a gym with 2 feet between the baseline and the wall with what seems like 25 little cheerleaders standing in this space. When you ask them to move a little bit please, (sometimes for their own safety) they look at you like you said something way out of line. And when the little cheerleaders do move, they leave their little
pom-poms(sp?) lying there on the floor. Can you spell
torn ACL?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 10:11am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
Any suggestions?
Adjust your positioning.
Get farther onto the court.
Ask Game administration to handle it.
Quit running over people. (We don't wanna run over a pregnant lady carrying a toddler.)
It's better to be hit by the ball than to injur an innocent.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Tony, our cheerleaders are not required to sit during live balls, and it is a problem at times. I had one earlier this year, I had asked them to move once because they were in my way and in the second half after a made basket, kid couldn't run the baseline because they were in the way doing leg kicks. They were not very effective cheeleaders after that, noone could hear them from the hallway
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

We have this problem in our MS games. Almost all gyms are small. The kids who are spectators look at the games as a combination sporting event/social hour, and are constantly moving about, sometime spilling onto the floor.

I suspect the best solution would be for the refereeing administration to make it a point to tell all of the schools before the season starts to be more diligent in their crowd control.

I agree with the pom-pom comment, as well. Makes me nervous every time I see a contested fast break.

A couple of the schools we go to require their cheerleaders to stay in the stands. The squads have adapted by including stomping on the metal stands as part of their routines. Very loud.

- Catherine Aird
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
This is exactly what happened to me a couple of weeks ago and it did result in a mother going to the state police post and filing a criminal charge! The lesson I learned: Move the cheerleaders before the game ever starts. Better that they are a mad as opposed to mad and litigous! I guess I am never surprised anymore about what can occur before, during, or after a game. The other great news is that the game was on videotape...ah yes, evidence that can be seen!