The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

over and back violation?

Here's the situation...

A1 throws a pass from the backcourt to A2 standing in the frontcourt. A2 does not catch the pass, but it deflects off his knees back into the frontcourt. A2 is the first person to touch the ball in the frontcourt. I called a violation for over and back.

After the game I was thinking that maybe that wasn't correct as there was no team control in the frontcourt. Does that make any difference or is the location of the ball the determining factor in this? No one disagreed with the call. I am just second guessing myself and to make sure I make the correct call should it happen again. Thanks.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF
Here's the situation...

A1 throws a pass from the backcourt to A2 standing in the frontcourt. A2 does not catch the pass, but it deflects off his knees back into the frontcourt. A2 is the first person to touch the ball in the frontcourt. I called a violation for over and back.

After the game I was thinking that maybe that wasn't correct as there was no team control in the frontcourt. Does that make any difference or is the location of the ball the determining factor in this? No one disagreed with the call. I am just second guessing myself and to make sure I make the correct call should it happen again. Thanks.
(I think you mistyped FC for BC a couple of times above)

Was there team control? Yes.

Did the ball reach teh frontcourt? Yes.

So, there was TC in the FC. There was no PC in the FC, but that's of no consequence.

It's a violation.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Bob

Take a look at 9-9 and you will see what he is talking about...

The exact wording of the rule states in Article 1.... A player shall not be the first to touh a ball after it has been IN TEAM CONTROL IN THE FRONT COURT, if he/she or a team mate last touched or was touched by the ball in front court before it went to backcourt.

What he missed was that there was Team control in the front court because the pass that hit the guys in his kneews was in Team control in the front court (it was on a pass) and Team B did not have it...

Agree it is a violation
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
When does TC become established on a throw-in?
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Not meant to hijack the thread but I had an over and back situation last night also so I thought I would throw it out there. A1 puts up shot, rebound by B1 outlet pass to B2 with "A" pressing full court. B2 goes to make a pass to B3 which is intercepted in the air by A1 who lands straddling the division line. A1 last was in contact with the floor in her frontcourt, B's BC. What do you have?
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 12:51pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffish
When a player inbounds secures control of the ball.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Team control on a throw in begins simultaneous with onset of player control (when a player holds or dribbles a live ball inbounds). The mere touching of the throw in does not necessarily initiate either player or team control.

Once player control is established, then team control continues for that player's team until the ball is in flight on a try or tap for a goal OR until the ball becomes dead OR until a player from the other team gains control (thus establishing team control for his/her team).

A ball that is loose (not in player control) remains in control of the team whose player last had control. unless it is in flight on a try or tap for a goal.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, I am not clear on the correct call for the OP. Inbound ball is thrown and touched by same team, no TC is established, therefore no PC is established, no FC established. How can we have BC violation on the OP's throw-in? I hope that I am missing some very basic basketball knowledge and just need it to be clarified for my simple mind. Thanks.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 01:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Okay, I am not clear on the correct call for the OP. Inbound ball is thrown and touched by same team, no TC is established, therefore no PC is established, no FC established. How can we have BC violation on the OP's throw-in? I hope that I am missing some very basic basketball knowledge and just need it to be clarified for my simple mind. Thanks.
I think the OP has some terms/particulars mixed up, so it's not odd to be confused. I didn't see where in the OP it mentions a throw-in?
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I knew it....I was missing something.....thanks
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 02:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobref1
Not meant to hijack the thread but I had an over and back situation last night also so I thought I would throw it out there. A1 puts up shot, rebound by B1 outlet pass to B2 with "A" pressing full court. B2 goes to make a pass to B3 which is intercepted in the air by A1 who lands straddling the division line. A1 last was in contact with the floor in her frontcourt, B's BC. What do you have?
An exception written explicitly in the rules: See 9-9-3.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the comments... yes I did mistype frontcourt and backcourt but you must have understood. There was no throw-in in my situation. A1 was bringing the ball up the court when he made the pass. I'm glad I made the correct call and will be sure to make the same call again.

I love this forum I learn something everyday from all the salty veterans!! Thanks.