The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   over and back violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31056-over-back-violation.html)

BEAREF Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:40am

over and back violation?

Here's the situation...

A1 throws a pass from the backcourt to A2 standing in the frontcourt. A2 does not catch the pass, but it deflects off his knees back into the frontcourt. A2 is the first person to touch the ball in the frontcourt. I called a violation for over and back.

After the game I was thinking that maybe that wasn't correct as there was no team control in the frontcourt. Does that make any difference or is the location of the ball the determining factor in this? No one disagreed with the call. I am just second guessing myself and to make sure I make the correct call should it happen again. Thanks.

bob jenkins Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEAREF
Here's the situation...

A1 throws a pass from the backcourt to A2 standing in the frontcourt. A2 does not catch the pass, but it deflects off his knees back into the frontcourt. A2 is the first person to touch the ball in the frontcourt. I called a violation for over and back.

After the game I was thinking that maybe that wasn't correct as there was no team control in the frontcourt. Does that make any difference or is the location of the ball the determining factor in this? No one disagreed with the call. I am just second guessing myself and to make sure I make the correct call should it happen again. Thanks.

(I think you mistyped FC for BC a couple of times above)

Was there team control? Yes.

Did the ball reach teh frontcourt? Yes.

So, there was TC in the FC. There was no PC in the FC, but that's of no consequence.

It's a violation.

Kelvin green Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:08pm

Bob

Take a look at 9-9 and you will see what he is talking about...

The exact wording of the rule states in Article 1.... A player shall not be the first to touh a ball after it has been IN TEAM CONTROL IN THE FRONT COURT, if he/she or a team mate last touched or was touched by the ball in front court before it went to backcourt.

What he missed was that there was Team control in the front court because the pass that hit the guys in his kneews was in Team control in the front court (it was on a pass) and Team B did not have it...

Agree it is a violation

reffish Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:18pm

When does TC become established on a throw-in?

bobref1 Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:22pm

Not meant to hijack the thread but I had an over and back situation last night also so I thought I would throw it out there. A1 puts up shot, rebound by B1 outlet pass to B2 with "A" pressing full court. B2 goes to make a pass to B3 which is intercepted in the air by A1 who lands straddling the division line. A1 last was in contact with the floor in her frontcourt, B's BC. What do you have?

JugglingReferee Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by reffish

When a player inbounds secures control of the ball.

Rusty Gilbert Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:52pm

Quote:

Team control on a throw in begins simultaneous with onset of player control (when a player holds or dribbles a live ball inbounds). The mere touching of the throw in does not necessarily initiate either player or team control.

Once player control is established, then team control continues for that player's team until the ball is in flight on a try or tap for a goal OR until the ball becomes dead OR until a player from the other team gains control (thus establishing team control for his/her team).

A ball that is loose (not in player control) remains in control of the team whose player last had control. unless it is in flight on a try or tap for a goal.

reffish Sat Jan 20, 2007 01:06pm

Okay, I am not clear on the correct call for the OP. Inbound ball is thrown and touched by same team, no TC is established, therefore no PC is established, no FC established. How can we have BC violation on the OP's throw-in? I hope that I am missing some very basic basketball knowledge and just need it to be clarified for my simple mind. Thanks.

JugglingReferee Sat Jan 20, 2007 01:11pm

Quote:

Okay, I am not clear on the correct call for the OP. Inbound ball is thrown and touched by same team, no TC is established, therefore no PC is established, no FC established. How can we have BC violation on the OP's throw-in? I hope that I am missing some very basic basketball knowledge and just need it to be clarified for my simple mind. Thanks.

I think the OP has some terms/particulars mixed up, so it's not odd to be confused. I didn't see where in the OP it mentions a throw-in? :confused:

reffish Sat Jan 20, 2007 01:26pm

I knew it....I was missing something.....thanks:o

Rich Sat Jan 20, 2007 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobref1
Not meant to hijack the thread but I had an over and back situation last night also so I thought I would throw it out there. A1 puts up shot, rebound by B1 outlet pass to B2 with "A" pressing full court. B2 goes to make a pass to B3 which is intercepted in the air by A1 who lands straddling the division line. A1 last was in contact with the floor in her frontcourt, B's BC. What do you have?

An exception written explicitly in the rules: See 9-9-3.

BEAREF Sat Jan 20, 2007 04:01pm

Thanks for the comments... yes I did mistype frontcourt and backcourt but you must have understood. There was no throw-in in my situation. A1 was bringing the ball up the court when he made the pass. I'm glad I made the correct call and will be sure to make the same call again.

I love this forum :) I learn something everyday from all the salty veterans!! Thanks.