The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Question Lost a sneaker

Boys varsity game last night. A1 drives to the basket, makes layup, sneaker comes off. As B1 is taking the ball out, official blows whistle to allow A1 to retrieve and replace his sneaker, eliminating potential advantage for B. Any rule to support stopping the game to allow A1 to replace his shoe?
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp
Boys varsity game last night. A1 drives to the basket, makes layup, sneaker comes off. As B1 is taking the ball out, official blows whistle to allow A1 to retrieve and replace his sneaker, eliminating potential advantage for B. Any rule to support stopping the game to allow A1 to replace his shoe?
No. Unless, of course, the smell posed a hazard to other participants.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 09:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp
Is there any common sense and fair play reason why you WOULDN'T stop the game?

An official can stop the game for any situation he deems worthy under 8-2d.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 09:11am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser

Rich,
Maybe there is no shoe rule for the purpose of eliminating the intentionally lost shoe.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 09:17am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp
Any rule to support stopping the game to allow A1 to replace his shoe?
If that's the sole reason, I probably wouldn't stop the game.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 09:20am
Huck Finn

Quote:

As far as common sense - if the play is going in a direction where the shoeless player is out of the way and his/her team does not have the ball, why stop the play?

As far as fair play - is it fair to team B to stop what could be a advantageous possession because little Johnny can't keep his shoe on?

Rich, this is one area that I'm not so sure about. I have had situations where team B took the ball down the court and A1 is injured (not badly) in team A's frontcourt. I have stayed with the player until B's possession was over or the ball was dead. Additionally, would this be treated differently if a player's shoe was untied. Can you give me a rule or a caseplay besides something that says I can stop the game for whatever I want? I'm not saying this from a position where I know I'm right; it is more like I'm saying this from a position of an official who has been on the west coast, east coast and the south. All three places handle things like this differently.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

If B2 then trips over the shoe, is it a foul on A1 then??

If the shoe fits, put it back on.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 09:28am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
If B2 then trips over the shoe, is it a foul on A1 then??

If the shoe fits, put it back on.
For the record, if the player and/or shoe are directly or indirectly involved in the play I would stop the clock and allow the player to put the shoe back on.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 09:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
For the record, if the player and/or shoe are directly or indirectly involved in the play I would stop the clock and allow the player to put the shoe back on.
The ball is at B's disposal after a made layup by A. If we're talking transition or a fast break, no, I wouldn't stop play. But after a made basket, I'd allow A to call a timeout, so why not stop the clock and replace the shoe?
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 09:46am
Huck Finn

Thumbs up

Quote:
The ball is at B's disposal after a made layup by A. If we're talking transition or a fast break, no, I wouldn't stop play. But after a made basket, I'd allow A to call a timeout, so why not stop the clock and replace the shoe?
Good enough reasoning for me.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 10:04am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Time out, not charged to Team A, allows:
  • Subs to enter for tired players;
  • Team A to set up press;
  • Out of breath players to get a blow;
  • Fallen player to get up and get back.
...All for free.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 10:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Time out, not charged to Team A, allows:
  • Subs to enter for tired players;
  • Team A to set up press;
  • Out of breath players to get a blow;
  • Fallen player to get up and get back.
...All for free.
So what?

Shoes don't come off often. I just don't think it's in the spirit of the game to expect A to play with 4 players on an entire possession that hasn't even started yet. And I think it might be dangerous for B to play without a shoe, which is what would happen if I let play continue.

If A1 had twisted an ankle, I'd stop the game there. 8-2d handles situations other than injury.

Subs can enter for either team and all out of breath players (on both teams) can get a breather, so those aren't really points that concern me too much.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 10:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
So what?

Shoes don't come off often. I just don't think it's in the spirit of the game to expect A to play with 4 players on an entire possession that hasn't even started yet. And I think it might be dangerous for B to play without a shoe, which is what would happen if I let play continue.

If A1 had twisted an ankle, I'd stop the game there. 8-2d handles situations other than injury.

Subs can enter for either team and all out of breath players (on both teams) can get a breather, so those aren't really points that concern me too much.
That's why there's no rule, Rich.
You can have your way with it.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

How does a shoe come off during play? It's hard as hell for me to remove my untied (low cut) sneaker. I have seen hi-top sneakers come flying of players feet. During dead ball situations I have asked players to lace up their sneakers and all they do is tuck the laces into the sneaker.
So, do I stop play for a player to lace up or replace a sneaker during a live ball NO! Unless the footware become an obsticle.
Missouri vs. Kansas. Late in the game, Kansas player drives to the basket. Players from both teams go down on the missed shot. Kansas player comes up with a sneaker remover from his foot. He picks it up and tosses it to the sideline and runs down the court to play defense. Play does not stop until a violation or foul is commited.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 10:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
That's why there's no rule, Rich.
You can have your way with it.
Oh, I know. And I know that I could get some yapping out of team B's coach, but I'd simply say "I'd do the same for you" and walk away.

I'm feeling fiesty this morning, probably cause I have the night off after two real 2-person runners the last two nights.

And it's my daughter's second birthday, too.